Why become a member? ×

Orange Terror Bass vs Aguilar TH500

dannybuoy

I've had the OTB for a while now and love it, it has so much low end thump compared with other lightweight heads I've tried (Markbass LMII, Genz Streamliner, Ashdown MiBass, Ampeg Micro VR, Promethean). Only thing is, it lacks clarity. I don't want sizzling treble and enjoy the vintage high end roll-off; but at times the Orange can sound a bit too woolly for my liking. I don't need overdrive either as I get that from pedals; although I do like the slight compression and warmth from those tubes.

Of all the amps out there, the Aguilar TH500 seems like the best fit for me. Can anybody who's tried both the Orange and Aggie chuck in their 2p?

Also, if any TH500 owners are curious about the Orange (or an Ashdown CTM15) I'd be happy to sort out a short term swap arrangement!

The bassplayer in my metal band has a TC RH750 and that is incredibly loud and has serious clarity. I have a regular tinkle during half time at band practices and the options are amazing. Im playing far less these days but dep for a mates band around 2-3x a month and im seriously thinking about getting the smaller RH450.

Ive played the terror bass quite a few times and whilst i love the tone, it cant compete with the RH for versatility imo

I'm using a pair of Ampeg SVT210AVs. I've tried various head/cab combinations and the Orange is always the darkest of the bunch no matter what it's plugged into.

BTW, if you like the RH750 for its clarity, you'd be disappointed with the 450 as it doesn't have the same top end, so try before you buy! The 750 was on my shortlist along with a few others, but really looking to hear people's opinions on Aggie vs Orange.

Well I`ve had an OTB, liked it but it just didn`t have the versatility I wanted (for the one sound I use, dur), mainly in the same area, I liked the warmth and low-end but there wasn`t enough clarity in the top-end for me. Used it with Marshall (Celestion speakers no tweeters) and Ampeg (Eminence speakers, and tweeters) cabs.

I`ve tried a TH500 and my impressions were "modern-sounding Ampeg", I got a nice Bruce Foxton/Down In The Tube Station sound from it. I have read that the TH500 is also light on top-end but my impressions were it certainly had enough toppiness for Jam songs.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1399732181' post='2447132']

I`ve tried a TH500 and my impressions were "modern-sounding Ampeg", ......................
[/quote]

Funnily enough all the guys round here who use Ampeg... SVT3 pro plus Ampeg410... love their sound but LOVE mine
which is nice of them to say.
If I know they will be at the gigs, I'll generally get the DB750 and DB212 out for them...but boy, have they got a shock
when they hear a 210 on top as well. That rig has serious beans on toast and cut down trees, IMO.
I've long thought Aguilar have well and truely stolen Ampegs clothes and are making serious inroads into
the market. I just hope they keep everything made in the U.S...

I liked the TH500 with a lively set of CN112's .... and I like the pedal ...but don't get to use it anymore.
I tend not to like the OTB when I hear it... doesn't sound that 'authentic'
Looks like a kettle on your cab..and sounds like one... joking..!!
It isn't really an Orange IMO... they are big old valve amps to me, always will be and maybe that is my problem with it..
I can't get beyond that.