Why become a member? ×

Warwick Rockbass Electronics - No Treble? - Help Please?

Posted this in the Bass Guitars Forum but might have more joy in here.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've got a Vampyre Rockbass as my backup gigging bass.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The treble pot is not working at all.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]All appears wired up correctly.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The pot is turning - i.e. the knob is not just 'spinning' on the pot.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Being completely useless at this type of thing how do I go about fixing this and identifying / proving where the problem lies?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Any input appreciated[/font][/color]

Just had the answer to my first question, yes we have active electronics. There are several possibilities: failed capacitor, failed integrated circuit, failed potentiometer even when the other concentric one works. I suspect the most probable culprit are a failed solder joint - even if it looks good, or a very fine strand of wire causing a short circuit.

Post pic of electronics please, I will then go compare with my Warwick Active and if I can will make some suggestions how to test.

Edited by 3below

Thanks for pic, seems to be a lot more in there than in my Corvette :gas: Next thing to start looking at / for is the circuit diagram, Warwick have these, how much detail is another matter. My best first attempt would be: unplug and replug any detachable connectors several times. Might be oxidation on contact causing poor connection (you may not have any detachable connectors - hard to see in pic). If this does not fix, next identify the treble pot connection terminals, give the wires on these these a gentle pull, if one comes off - resolder. Next follow wires back to whatever they connect into next, give them a gentle pull where they connect, if it detaches - reconnect.

FWIW one of my Warwicks (Rockbass not German one) had a badly connected wire that was not picked up in manufacture.

Are there any

If it has previously worked for you then that would rule out incorrect wiring. Like the previous replies have stated, the most common is dry joints (old solder) , or even a "short"...In my years as a guitar tech the amount of times I've seen this, where the pot has twisted inside the cavity and the lugs are pressing against the wood making it "short out" Have a look out for that.

The EQ pots are wired to a snap panel, so check the connector isnt half hanging out too (its a little white plastic clip)

There is an outside chance that the previous owner has changed the wiring in error.

Here is a schematic
http://www.warwickbass.com/en/Warwick---Support.html#current_site_id

Good luck

• 5 months later...

Find out the value of the pot, either from circuit diags or by disconnecting one terminal and measuring resistance with multimeter. At this point I would buy a new pot and replace the existing one - Alpha pots are good value, should only be few £. Either the problem goes away or you now know it is elsewhere. Life is great - you fix a problem and then it comes back to bite you later :)

Edited by 3below

I have a Thumb Bass with a 2 band circuit, bass and treble controls have a definite usable effect. I was trying out a used later model with 3 band electronics and the treble control appeared not to be working. I bought the bass as it was a good price and thought the problem may be an easy fix. Turned out there was nothing wrong with it but it worked at a higher band than that on the two way and on my amp settings I have this frequency cut so turning it had no effect.
I prefer the 2 band circuit.

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1415369240' post='2599686']
I have a Thumb Bass with a 2 band circuit, bass and treble controls have a definite usable effect. I was trying out a used later model with 3 band electronics and the treble control appeared not to be working. I bought the bass as it was a good price and thought the problem may be an easy fix. Turned out there was nothing wrong with it but it worked at a higher band than that on the two way and on my amp settings I have this frequency cut so turning it had no effect.
I prefer the 2 band circuit.
[/quote]

Thanks - you are right, problem solved.
Wiring checked out by our techies at work - all fine.
When I got it home tried again - still appeared not to be working. Tried it through the practice amp and it works.
Eureka! - I'd been putting it through a amp head with a 'RnB' Modelling setting - completely EQing out the range I was trying to adjust!!!