Why become a member? ×

Dynacord PA hints and tips

Having used a Phonic Powerpod as a vocal PA for few years, we saved all our gig money last year and have now obtained a used Dynacord Powermate 1000 plus two Dynacord CP12-3 tops and Dynacord bass bins, all in excellent nick, and sounded fantastic in use according to the other two (I was at work). The drummer's bagged a Dynacord powered monitor as well. We're going to use it in anger on our first pub gig at the end of the month, anyone got any advice/tips, anything else we should be looking to add? Cheers.

Depends on the size of the pub but I like the sound of the tops.... in terms of spec.
All the Dynacord kit I've come across has been a step on from the usual fare so
expect good bang for buck, within the confines of new tech and weight.

I'd take the whole lot out and run just a gtr bleed plus kick and o/h only for the first outing.
You need a long set-up time for new kit and you don't want to overcomplicate things
by having too much to do 1st time round. Maybe feed the bass in, but not much and be
prepared to take it back out again as new kit plus self engineering ( I assume ) are
not the very best of bed fellows.
New mixer...? run a recorded track that you know the sound of, to get a general balance
between tops and bottoms... as you are basically equalising the sound bias between the two.

Don't expect too much 1st time round but a good balance and mix is the bonus..
and that is before you take into account what mics you run.

Assume SM58's will bleed into the P.A all sorts of stuff..... which can be a good thing or bad
depending what you expect/want them to do and whether you use them, of course.
I don't like them as the main lead vox, tbh... but around the drum kit they can do ok as a pick-up ambient type.

1st time round I'd be thinking anything more than a sound embellishment is a bonus, apart from the vox, of course
and I'd be expecting you will be able to get them pretty high in the mix ..which is what you should always do anyway...

• 1 month later...

A bit of an update-many thanks to those who replied, especially JTUK. Used it twice now, and we're well pleased with our purchase. Only used it for vocals so far, didn't want to over complicate things, and found it really easy to use and set up. Although heavier than our old rig, both sets of speakers are quite compact so easy to move, especially the bass bins which have castors. Also very good reports on the sound. Hoping to bring a mate along to tomorrow night's gig who knows a bit more than we do, for a bit more insight. Any mike recommendations, I currently use a Shure PG58, I have an SM but prefer the cheaper version?

If you have just put vox thru you will have gotten a full and rich vocal which should always be the goal anyway
so all you need to do is introduce other bleeds into it.
You need to get the kick running mostly thru the bins so maybe you have a few x-over points to experiment with.
Depending how the drums tunes his kit and how he tends to play them... I'd go for an overhead just for now
but you do need to know how the kit comes across, so difficult for me to say without hearing it exactly how I'd
go about this, tbf.
The thing with bleeds is that you need to be disciplined with volume and turning up as it is very hard to self mix with
volume variables happening.
Lead vox..?? I try and pick an AKG type over an SM58...
Gtr would be a SM57
Bass and Keys DI.
Kick is AKG D12