Why become a member? ×

ashdown mag 300C115 combo

ben_eat_pie

[quote name='ben_eat_pie' post='241261' date='Jul 16 2008, 09:31 PM']hi there,
my amp says that it's 300W, but doesn't mention impedance - are we talking 300W at 4 ohms or 8?
also it says 575W rms... now how will i get as much as that out of the amp?

cheers guys,

ben[/quote]
Into the original 8 ohm cab I think you get about 180w rms and 307 with an 8 ohm extension cab so that it's running into 4 ohms. You might get 575 peaks.

All a bit immaterial within reason.

[quote name='ben_eat_pie' post='241280' date='Jul 16 2008, 09:51 PM']i need a bigger amp then!
that sounds so darn wettie 180 watts, cheers for the help.
I'm going hartke i think.[/quote]
180w into the right cab could be louder than you can stand! It could be as much as you need unless you need impress with statistics.

Cab efficiency can vary enormously - so much so that a very efficient cab may need half the power of a less powerful cab to achieve the same SPL.

Even with the same cab the difference a 200W and a 300W amp driving it doesn't make a huge difference. Also, cab ratings are usually how much energy a driver can dissipate without melting - not how much they can turn into sound energy. I seen figures to the effect that in a given enclosure a 500w rated cab doesn't get any louder above 100w of input as the driver has reached its maximum excursion.

I'd say that in the absence of SPL charts for a cab then use your ears. Amp power ratings and cab ratings don't always mean that much in isolation.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='241336' date='Jul 16 2008, 10:49 PM']If it's a combo, won't it be wired up as 4 ohms? Most are, aren't they?[/quote]
The MAG's got a single 8 ohm driver and can take another 8 ohm extension to give a maximum 4 ohm load.

yeah 300watt rms (for what its worth) they do do a 575watt mag head never heard the 575peak value for the 300's
i have (see avatar) the mag 300 210, i dont have an extension cab, yet, and have played to 200 people in a hall and done out doors with PA support, the combo on its own is enough for most smallish gigs and anything much bigger you go through the PA as it has the DI.
you get about 200 watts from the combo as is and then 307watts with an 8ohm extension cab (running at 4ohms total) the 200 watts is a loud 200 too.

I gigged a MAG300 C-115 for about a year and found it to be fine for all the function gigs i was doing.
As others have said its only around 200-220 watts as is, without an extension cab.

The 575watts mentioned would relate to the MAG600 or ABM 500 so im not sure why it would say that on a 307watt amp (mine doesn't)

Got any pics of it?