Why become a member? ×

Connecting Speaker to Combo?

Number6

Okay tech types.....i have a combo i'm using which only has headphones out and line out with no fx loop. I also have an old 2x10 8 ohm impedance cab which i have retrieved from the loft (it nearly killed me).

I know i can't use the line out to power the cab but wondered if there's any way to hook them up?

Hoping there's something i can do to get this up and running.

Cheers......Paul

The combo needs an ext speaker output and you need to know what load is on the amp stage.
I would guess if the combo was intended to be coupled up with an ext cab... then the internal speaker
would be 8 ohms as that would allow basic amps to produce max output at 4. This also means
that you need to know what the 210 is and I suspect it is 8 as well.

If the amp has no power output for you to plug into, then they obviously did not design this combo
to do that. If that is the case, then the only way to run from an FX or headphone out is to have
another amp before the ext speaker stage. You need to be careful there as the headphone out is likely to be pretty hot
into the slave amp.

I am guessing the combo is pretty small...and if so, it may well not have enough guts to power the ext cab on its own anyway.
Another reason why they didn't design it to make it easy to do so...?

As noted above your combo isn't designed to have any additional speakers added. If it isn't loud enough you'll need another combo/amp+cab and take the signal from the line out.

Edited by HowieBass

You could modify your combo to provide an external speaker jack, that either parallels with the built in speaker, or bypasses the internal speaker entirely when you plug in an external cab, both options would involve a minimal amount of surgery.

The important thing is knowing the impedance load that the amp is expecting in order to match the external speaker to it. If you specified the make/model of combo, people might be able to be a bit more helpful.

Just tell us what combo it is, and I'm sure someone has the exact knowledge. It may well be able to drive another cab with a little bit of DIY (open up thing, solder in wires parallel to speaker terminals, mount jack), but right now we just can't tell.

Edit: beaten to it by SubsonicComplexPerson :)

Edited by BassTractor

In the probable case of a solid state power amp inside, you'll need to know what minimum impedance the amp's output requires from the speaker load. It might even be 8 Ohm. So checking the Ohmage of the built-in speaker may not be helping at all.
Again: brand and model, please.
Help us to help you.

That sucks, as this amp is not at all likely to manage an impedance lower than 4 Ohm.
AFAIK, the heat generated does not combine well with the expected price point of the components.

I think you already concluded correctly that an extra amp is needed.
But at least you tried!

Best advice: get an Ashdown CTM 300 for the other cab. ;) :ph34r:

50w is fine for home practice, and maybe some low volume jamming, but bass amplification needs quite a lot of energy to reproduce low frequencies, so you will run out of headroom very quickly regardless of speakers/cab.

Really you need to ask yourself whether you need/want more volume, better eq/tone or both, and how important the size and weight of your setup is.

I think if this amp isn't working for you there is limited mileage in modding it, but if you are unhappy with it or the sound you are getting from it and you can identify why you are dissatisfied then you might get some decent suggestions.

Thanks guys. It was just a home project to see if it could be done. I wouldn't gig with this its a tiny little combo and would be embarassing lol.

My old gigging rig (long ago sold) was a cabinet i had made for me loaded with two 15" Celestions with an ancient head which i think was Carlsbro.....

I'm not gigging at the mo but had this old speaker in the loft that i'd was going to try.....might pick up a cheapy head to try it.

Again thanks for the input :-)

Edited by Number6

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1399390679' post='2443756']
You might replace the current 4Ohm speaker with a 8Ohm one, and then loop to the 8Ohm 210.
Or mount the combo's amp in the 210. Have fun with it :)
[/quote]

Hmmmm......maybe a plan there :-)

Sure, you can do that...but for what real gain?
You can't realistically extend the use of that combo beyond what you use it for now.
It will always be underpowered and you'll be hauling 2 pieces of kit to boot.

As a project, then sure, swap out a speaker, but a waste of money if you expect it to be of
much better use that what it is now.

Just my 2p..