Why become a member? ×

Do I want a stingray?

Pinball

Well it arrived....ooh dear.

It was just in a soft case and someone put something heavy on it. As a result the neck is angled 15 degrees further forward than it should be and some of the neck plate screws were pulled out. The action is a tad out...stings are a bit slack

Don't worry the damage is covered :)

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1402692280' post='2476099']
Do you need a stingray?.....only if you don't need a G string....great 3 string though. :P ;)
[/quote]

You must have been misusing it - I never have this problem and I've got four of them. If anything my HH has slightly too much on the G string. This problem is just as possible on any bass, and more likely on a two pick up bass like a jazz if too scooped a sound is dialled in. This will lose ( to the player) the sound of the higher strings. The Stingray can be over-scooped through amp and EQ settings ( just as any other bass) but I guarantee the audience will never have a problem hearing the notes being played on it - whatever the string in use.

Everyone needs a Stingray..............and a Bongo!

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1402686584' post='2476040']
Well it arrived....ooh dear.

It was just in a soft case and someone put something heavy on it. As a result the neck is angled 15 degrees further forward than it should be and some of the neck plate screws were pulled out. The action is a tad out...stings are a bit slack

Don't worry the damage is covered :)
[/quote]

Ouch - sorry to hear that - are you getting it fixed or replacing it?

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1402692280' post='2476099']
Do you need a stingray?.....only if you don't need a G string....great 3 string though. :P ;)
[/quote]

I think there is a lot of BS out there about uneven sounding G-strings on Rays. I have had an EB and a pre EB, they cut through and can be heard however much you want and have a lot of thump even on the G.
Maybe the ones that say they have a problem are using VERY light gauged strings.... no idea!

Sorry to hear about the bass Pinball.. hope it's all sorted quick for you,

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1402742876' post='2476443']
[/quote]

Yes I'm taking it in to get looked at today. The seller is being very helpful. It's hard work this getting a Stingray but shouldn't be long now.

I've got a Musicmann Sterling 4H (not the cheaper Sub version) and it's stunningly versatile on tone. The pre-amp in it's is allegedly a bit hotter than the Ray and I have no issues getting it very dark - also does the Stingray trick of glassy super-sharp. Had to dial back the presence on my SansAmp though - was a bit too much!

As far as I'm aware the body on the Sterling is a bit smaller than the 'Ray too which is nice but I still get lower back ache after a 4 hour practice session.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1402740740' post='2476419']
Ouch - sorry to hear that - are you getting it fixed or replacing it?
[/quote]

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1402742876' post='2476443']
[/quote]

Good news, I got the neck replaced and a set up yesterday and the seller re-funded me today. This afternoon I used in a mini practise in someones house and all went well. It performed admirably. I can't wait to hear it with the amps cranked up but that will have to wait for a bit.

Also two bits of praise for it already. One from the guitarist today and the other for the build quality from the guy who fixed it. That is a complement indeed as previously he has moaned about every guitar of bass I have taken to him :)

Now I need to check that it is working well with everything is working in my guitar > Pedal > amp chain.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm lucky to have some nice basses to choose from.

Note: I'll have to try and narrow it back down to 3 at some point but no risk as I love them all.

Edited by Pinball

Always loved the sound of a good 3 band Ray, but could never get along with the neck profile. Had a couple of them before my Warwick SS2, 2 band always seemed to lack the tones I was loking for, 3 band was excellent but really didnt sit well with me.

Im now, well and truely a Warwick only player, love the growl and bite my SS2 gives and the LX5 is a slightly less refined but equally brilliant battleaxe.