Why become a member? ×

Fender Mike Dirnt - Dull E!!

Waterboarder

Hey chaps, have had a minor issue since getting this one 2nd hand about a year ago...just been too lazy to try and sort it! Basically the top 3 are super zingy with loads of sustain but E is a kind of dull thud by comparison! Its not an electronics issue as its evident when you play it unplugged...seems like a string position problem (have replaces the strings) and I suppose a full setup would sort it, but cash wont allow at the moment. Anyone have any ideas?

If it still happens with a change of strings, it could be something interfering with the string itself. Maybe the nut, or on the bridge. Try an A string where the E should be, and if it resonates ok then I`d pay some close attention to the nut, may be cut slightly too small. Another thing to consider is, what strings are you using - some brands occaisonally have a duff string in the set, some brands more than others.

I had the exact same problem when I got one new, back when they first came out. I got mine from the US about 3 weeks after they were launched. I really wanted a 51 style P Bass with split coils and this ticked all the boxes! I was incredibly chuffed with it, except for this strange dull E (and a bit on the A too) issue.
After a bit of a look-over it turned out to be the incredibly cheap plastic nut that came with it from the factory. Shame really as otherwise, these are stunning basses for the money!
The addition of a bone nut and a proper set up solved the problem immediately and it even improved the bass' unplugged tone!

If you're a bit strapped, try a proper set up and new strings first and if the problem persists, look at replacing the nut further on. This should solve the problem!

Edited by basshead56