Why become a member? ×

Can a bass amp be hooked up to your car sound system?

buy a JBL GTO 12" sub for 20 quid, design and build a simple ported enclosure, then buy a cheap 400W 12V car amp. You could do all that for about 300 quid, probably a lot less if you buy a 2nd hand amp, and it would kick the sh*t out of the sound you would get from a bass amp for that application. Bass cabs aren't tuned low enough to be used as a good in-car sub solution. You need something with a tuning frequency of around 26Hz, maybe lower :brow:
don't underestimate those JBL subs though - amazing value for money and they're going for peanuts at the moment.

all this isn't even taking into consideration the hassle of generating enough power from a 12V converter to actually run a powerful GK bass amp :)

Not to rail road the thread or anything, but I was thinking of starting a new thread about what sub to get for my estate car. Something to augment my Alpine head unit.

Would like to know whats good and whats not, as my local car audio outlets are somewhat biased towards what ever they are trying to get rid of at the time...

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='240702' date='Jul 16 2008, 10:58 AM']buy a JBL GTO 12" sub for 20 quid, design and build a simple ported enclosure, then buy a cheap 400W 12V car amp. You could do all that for about 300 quid, probably a lot less if you buy a 2nd hand amp, and it would kick the sh*t out of the sound you would get from a bass amp for that application. Bass cabs aren't tuned low enough to be used as a good in-car sub solution. You need something with a tuning frequency of around 26Hz, maybe lower :brow:
don't underestimate those JBL subs though - amazing value for money and they're going for peanuts at the moment.

all this isn't even taking into consideration the hassle of generating enough power from a 12V converter to actually run a powerful GK bass amp :huh:[/quote]

MB1. :)
Watt Ben Said! :huh:

[quote name='wizbat' post='241185' date='Jul 16 2008, 07:36 PM']A gu1t4rist friend of mine used to carry his Soldano 4x12 cab in the back of his car and used to hook it up to a car sub bass power amp when not using it for gigs.[/quote]

my mate would do the same with his estate car, but used both sides of the PA and subs hooked up to his car amps. Ya know, I have to admit, it really did sound amazing and clear... so very loud, but it never hurt your ears. Strange! Infact, it was so loud, you actually couldnt hear yourself talk!

[quote name='dood' post='241435' date='Jul 17 2008, 12:54 AM']my mate would do the same with his estate car, but used both sides of the PA and subs hooked up to his car amps. Ya know, I have to admit, it really did sound amazing and clear... so very loud, but it never hurt your ears. Strange! Infact, it was so loud, you actually couldnt hear yourself talk![/quote]

Cool!!
I,m looking at my 8x10,s and thinking they,ll fit in the volvo 940.