Why become a member? ×

A whole new world...with one thing missing...

Muzz

Ha. I've got to teach this tablet swearing and slang or it just assumes the next best thing. Doddle!!!! There done. Really clever things are no good to me. Probably why I use valve stuff. Mind you I found some interesting class d modules on the Hypex electronics website. Not too pricey if you want to put together a mono amp unit or even an active cab. With neo diversions cab design you could easily realise a 400w beast in a high l y portable l e unit that would seriously rock.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1398328453' post='2432836']
Just an active PA cab? They are quite cheap if I'm not mistaken.
[/quote]

I started a thread on the viability of this a while back and the general consensus was that because most cheap active PA cabs are essentially made of plastic they are not particularly suitable for use with bass guitar.

I still like the idea myself, particularly having it up on a pole for good on-stage audibility. But there it is.

What we need is some kind of enclosure made of wood - ply perhaps, well-braced for strength and lightness - loaded with quality drivers capable of clean cone excursion. Preferably made by a small, dedicated company based on the south coast...

...Nah, that'll never happen! :D

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1398272311' post='2432351']
Why do you need an amp? All the eq is done and the monitoring is through in ears, so you only need to be louder and only need something with a flat output. Go straight into the PA and the audience should hear what you do through the in ears. If you or the rest of the band need some on-stage bass then use an active PA speaker, possibly a wedge, possibly not, with the flat class D amp you want already built in. Why carry a box, which for the way you are set up is not needed.

Decent PA speakers should handle bass as well as a bass speaker and if you have DSP built in then there should be no way of blowing the speaker.
[/quote]

Yep, I do the non-amp thing (straight from the SonicPort (post-iPad) to the PA) sometimes, but then again I sometimes need, as you say, some on-stage bass. I could look at an active PA speaker, but the 27lb Compact I have is perfectly good as a speaker and so, I guess, is the 6lb Streamliner. I was just musing that all the posh preampery in the Streamliner's a bit superflous now...if Positive Grid (makers of the iPad app) got together with an amp manufacturer to make a simple Class D power amp, they might make some money...

Thinking that even further forward, what about combining the Sonic Port and the power amp? A Class D amp with an iPad connector to use all the touchscreen goodness of the digi amp and FX models on an iPad. Maybe even put a rudimentary EQ in there in case the iPad's not available for whatever reason...plug the bass into the amp, plug the iPad in, then either (or both) run out to a cab or the PA.

Right, I'm off to the Patents Office... :D

I use this setup too .... But I add a DI box in the mix too .... As I thought if you were putting the sonic port into the fx return on your amp ... Anything coming out of the DI of that amp to the PA would be just clean guitar signal .... Totally unaffected ... Is this correct?

My set up is

Guitar > sonic port > DI box > fx return > the DI in the middle of the chain also goes into the PA ... I use a aguilar tonehammer for the DI and a TC Classic 450 for the power amp

[quote name='cliffyspliff' timestamp='1398511765' post='2434820']
I use this setup too .... But I add a DI box in the mix too .... As I thought if you were putting the sonic port into the fx return on your amp ... Anything coming out of the DI of that amp to the PA would be just clean guitar signal .... Totally unaffected ... Is this correct?

My set up is

Guitar > sonic port > DI box > fx return > the DI in the middle of the chain also goes into the PA ... I use a aguilar tonehammer for the DI and a TC Classic 450 for the power amp
[/quote]

Not sure....never tested that. I know most amps have pre/post EQ settings you can send to the PA, but Im guessing this isn't available if you use the power section only...

I've been after one of these for a while, someone commissioned a small class-D amp on this board a while back and it looked great. I think it may have been build by alienaudio?

I didn't like the SWR and as much as I could use the power section of my GK I sometimes need a seperate amp. Ended up with a powered wedge, but I'd quite like the ability to have a separate amp and cab at some point.