Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I need some advice!

ianrunci

I have had my warwick up on Gumtree and have had an offer of £550 for it which I think isnt bad for a streamer LX 4. However I have also been offered a virtually brand new US fender Jazz with S-1 switch in mint condition (I have no idea what an S-1 switch is??????) inc full flight case
and another offer of a virtually brand new G& L tribute L2500 plush cash

what do you think my best option would be. I only have one bass being the warwick so I will need another one anyway.

What d'ya think? and whats an s-1 switch?

The S-1 switch was a short lived system Fender installed on 06(?) basses which switches the pickup circuitry from series to parrallel. For some reason lots of people didnt like it, other people couldnt tell the difference, and a select few thought it was alright!

I'd personally have a good look at the G&L, Never heard a bad word said about them!

However £550 will buy you a great bass on this very forum so have a hunt about!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='239675' date='Jul 15 2008, 12:15 AM']Buy all of 'em!

Ask the know it all down the pub, he will I'm sure wax lyrically about what you should/should not do!

The S-1 switch lets you change between parallel, series combinations I think! Normally, one of the vol knobs has a switch built into the top of it, you press it in etc[/quote]

Heh heh, the only thing he is likely to tell me is how to polish it. I think he only takes em out to clean em, he's a regular Mr Sheen :)

[quote name='ianrunci' post='239668' date='Jul 14 2008, 11:04 PM']I have had my warwick up on Gumtree and have had an offer of £550 for it which I think isnt bad for a streamer LX 4. However I have also been offered a virtually brand new US fender Jazz with S-1 switch in mint condition (I have no idea what an S-1 switch is??????) inc full flight case
and another offer of a virtually brand new G& L tribute L2500 plush cash

what do you think my best option would be. I only have one bass being the warwick so I will need another one anyway.

What d'ya think? and whats an s-1 switch?[/quote]

Take the Jazz :)

[quote name='Jase' post='239683' date='Jul 15 2008, 12:27 AM']Take the Jazz :)[/quote]

I'm hmming and ahhing about it, I'll wait for him to reply, I would only really want it if its got a maple board otherwise I will probably take the money and get a stingray. I'm not sure about the G&L as its a 5 ver and I can't really get my head round them

[quote name='ianrunci' post='239684' date='Jul 14 2008, 11:31 PM']I'm hmming and ahhing about it, I'll wait for him to reply, I would only really want it if its got a maple board otherwise I will probably take the money and get a stingray. I'm not sure about the G&L as its a 5 ver and I can't really get my head round them[/quote]

Whatever you do, 3 good offers there!....I know what you mean about 5 strings........madness :)

[quote name='Jase' post='239691' date='Jul 15 2008, 12:41 AM']Whatever you do, 3 good offers there!....I know what you mean about 5 strings........madness :)[/quote]

I also know where there is a 5 string USA Jazz deluxe for sale for 450, shame I can't do the 5 string thing

[quote name='ianrunci' post='239696' date='Jul 14 2008, 11:46 PM']I also know where there is a 5 string USA Jazz deluxe for sale for 450, shame I can't do the 5 string thing[/quote]

Ahh, Jazz Deluxe, they sound awesome, the necks are great, I couldn't get on with the "new" slimline, sporty type body though but still, a really well made bass.

[quote name='tauzero' post='240848' date='Jul 16 2008, 01:31 PM']Keep the Warwick. Why bother with inferior basses?[/quote]

I do like the warwick, its a beautiful instrument. However, I have been playing lead guitar for the last 35 years, mostly fender strats amd I just can't get used to the feel of the neck. Anyway its sold now, just waiting for the cheque to arrive and then a nice American fender jazz will hopefully be coming my way. I think the neck will feel more familiar than the Warwick

[quote name='tauzero' post='240848' date='Jul 16 2008, 01:31 PM']Bin the Warwick. Why bother with inferior basses?[/quote]

As it was ment to be written,Wilfer has not made a decent plank since the wenge necks of the early 90s.

Buy the Fender,It will never let you down.

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='ianrunci' post='239684' date='Jul 15 2008, 12:31 AM']I'm hmming and ahhing about it, I'll wait for him to reply, I would only really want it if its got a maple board otherwise I will probably take the money and get a stingray. I'm not sure about the G&L as its a 5 ver and I can't really get my head round them[/quote]

+1 on the 5ver madness!

I got a 5 string thumb about a year ago (yes - I like Warwicks - the 5ver is my third Thumb!).

It's been put away since I got it, waiting for an easy opportunity to use, it but I finally took it out on a few things recently - everything from a church band (reading) to a ceilidh band (usually a dead easy gig on either my 4er fretless or Triumph upright).

But the 5ver was complete madness. It was odd having a guitar round my neck that I should have known my way round but absolutely didn't!

David