Why become a member? ×

SR5...to HH or not to HH

phil_the_bassist

Ok, I've bought a Kent Armstrong SR5 pup (cheers Owen!) and I'm now having a few thoughts as to what to do with it.

As far as I can see, I've got several options.

1. replace my Sub5's pup, as it's looking a bit sh*tty
2. put it into a hi-end project bass
3. get it professionally installed in my 2006 SR5 to turn it into a HH
4. get it professionally installed in my SUB5 to turn it into a HH

So, whats the opinions? Are you able to just wire in another pup for the HH option, or will I need a new pre-amp?

Not too sure if I wanna butcher my 'Ray, but if any HH owners want to offer an opinion on the advantages of the extra pup I'd be more than grateful!

Edited by phil_the_bassist

im sure ud get used to it, but i find the second humbucker gets in the way of my slap technique, so personally for me id always go for a single H

just replace your sub's imo, although i think the sub pickup is quite decent anyways??

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='BassManKev' post='239154' date='Jul 14 2008, 01:56 PM']im sure ud get used to it, but i find the second humbucker gets in the way of my slap technique, so personally for me id always go for a single H

just replace your sub's imo, although i think the sub pickup is quite decent anyways??[/quote]

It seems to work fine, but I foolishly didn't wipe it down after the last gig I used it at, before I got my SR5 and the magnets are pitted slightly... :)

The SUB pickup is as good quality as the SR pickup (not compromised despite being a cheaper bass) and I don't think you should replace either. If you are going to install the Kent Armstrong I think you should use it to make your SUB an HH. Any mods to a Stingray is likely to bring it down in value but the SUB's value might actually increase with a second pup installed.

The pick-up and pre-amp of the single H SR5 are very closely connected because of the coil switching. As far as I am aware the pick-up selection options of the HH are quite different. This would therefore imply that the pre-amp design is quite different.

It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to hook up a second pick-up to an H SR5 pre-amp.

You would never be able to buy an HH pre-amp from EB. They just don't sell them. You might find one on eBay. It took me 4 years to find an SR5 H pre-amp.

Keep your SR5 as it is, and if you have to tinker, then do it on the Sub.

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='239419' date='Jul 14 2008, 07:04 PM']Any mods to a Stingray is likely to bring it down in value but the SUB's value might actually increase with a second pup installed.[/quote]

Yep, I can believe that!

[quote name='obbm' post='239445' date='Jul 14 2008, 07:34 PM']The pick-up and pre-amp of the single H SR5 are very closely connected because of the coil switching. As far as I am aware the pick-up selection options of the HH are quite different. This would therefore imply that the pre-amp design is quite different.

It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to hook up a second pick-up to an H SR5 pre-amp.[/quote]

Also sounds highly plausable!

[quote name='obbm' post='239445' date='Jul 14 2008, 07:34 PM']Keep your SR5 as it is, and if you have to tinker, then do it on the Sub.[/quote]

Judging from this consensus [font="Comic Sans MS"][size=4]The SUB5's getting turbocharged![/size][/font] *said in the manner of Jeremy Clarkson (and yes, I'm currently watching Top Gear!)

Thanks for your input...I'll hopefully bring the finished product to the BassChat event at the end of the year!

ye id definatly not add the humbucker to your actual stingray, but i dont think by the sounds of things ud benefit much from swapping the humbucker with your sub, so you could tryyyyy adding it as a second H to the sub, but will the cost for this to be installed be greater than the value it would add to the bass?? i think so, i wouldnt bother tbh.

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='239529' date='Jul 14 2008, 09:21 PM']Reading your topic title, I hoped you meant you were asking whether to give it to me or not.

You can if you want, I don't mind![/quote]

Erm, well...I suppose I could...Howzabout a swap?

I'll getcha a brand spanking new SR5 HH, in ANY COLOUR YOU WANT if you deposit approximately £30,000 in a high-interest, tax free, off-shore bank account in my name, and send me all the associated documentation?

Whatcha recon?

...shake on it? :)

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='239541' date='Jul 14 2008, 09:33 PM']Erm, well...I suppose I could...Howzabout a swap?

I'll getcha a brand spanking new SR5 HH, in ANY COLOUR YOU WANT if you deposit approximately £30,000 in a high-interest, tax free, off-shore bank account in my name, and send me all the associated documentation?

Whatcha recon?

...shake on it? :huh:[/quote]

Done. Send me the bass (crimson?) and I'll let you know the bank details......honest! :)

Huge Hands is my pseudonym. My real name is Mr Lord Lucan.

Edited by Huge Hands

I really don't like double pickup stingrays. Its not because I'm a purest but its because I think they have gotten so much wrong with the design. The HS version has a highly variable output level depending on which coil options are selected. Just using a preamp with input buffers would sort this out. The neck humbucker on the HH sounds gutless to me as well. They could wind the pickup to have more impedance to it fattens the sound up a bit.

I'd suggest go buy a Lakland if you want stingray sound with another pickup.

Or, have a chat with John East?