Why become a member? ×

Tobias Killer B 5 on Ebay (Why won't it sell? :-(

bkman42

Once again l have listed my U.S. Tobias Killer B 5 on Ebay. Is £700 too much to ask do you think?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tobias-Killer-B-5-Bass-Fender-Musicman_W0QQitemZ190236798695QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190236798695&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tobias-Killer-B-5-Ba...p3286.m14.l1318[/url]

I think you've got a few things going against you.

First, the market is completely down on used instruments at present.

Second, the colour is one that would need the right buyer to come along. Finishes like black, sunburst or natural will always get a lot more interest.

Third, a lot of prospective buyers may associate the name Tobias with a product that's of a very different level to this instrument.

Sorry I couldn't be of any help, but like a lot of people, I'd say you're just a victim of a very poor used market.

Edited by bassaussie

[quote name='bassaussie' post='238792' date='Jul 13 2008, 10:13 PM']I think you've got a few things going against you.

First, the market is completely down on used instruments at present.

Second, the colour is one that would need the right buyer to come along. Finishes like black, sunburst or natural will always get a lot more interest.

Third, a lot of prospective buyers may associate the name Tobias with a product that's of a very different level to this instrument.

Sorry I couldn't be of any help, but like a lot of people, I'd say you're just a victim of a very poor used market.[/quote]
+1

I'd also recommend that you takes some more photos, preferably outdoors in some sunshine, to really show it off. Tobias basses have a beautiful shape and you just can't tell that from your pictures.

Might also be useful to namecheck some of the bassists that have used Tobias basses over the years and to provide a link to the reviews of Tobias basses on Harmony Central here:

[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/Tobias/Killer+B-5/10/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...Killer+B-5/10/1[/url]

Good luck!

[quote name='bkman42' post='238799' date='Jul 13 2008, 10:25 PM']Yeah Mate thats kinda what im thinking :-(
Don't think going any lower than £650 would be worth it so could end up stuck with it :-( I just got too many basses so have of them never see the light of day :-)[/quote]

Yeah, I can understand your frustration. I'm old enough to remember when the name "Tobias" meant something pretty bloody special - now, people associate it with something completely different, which I think is really sad.

I wish I could offer you a solution, but I'd say your best option is to hold onto it unless you really need to move it.

Reading silverfoxnik's comments, I certainly don't think those suggestions would hurt, but I honestly believe that the market is in such a slump that you could coat the auction in gold dust and it wouldn't make a difference! I've actually just been looking around Ebay at the prices on there, and it's astonishing how cheaply some basses are going for.

Fantastic bass but as above the fact that it is bright green will only reduce your potential market. Money is tight at the mo' and buyers are being ever so choosy.
I'd hold on to it and enjoy it if you can afford to.

I sympathise, I had a stingray and warwick streamer on ebay for what I considdered a sensible amount and they didnt get anywhere near what I wanted. Real shame. I love the Tobias by the way I have played one of these and they are stunning instruments, its a real shame they are associated with those "other basses" which are not Tobias in my eyes.

Good luck anyway.

I bought the same model in natural walnut with case for £620 shipped about 18 months ago. The green colour is striking but may put some people off. I've played 3 or 4 Killer B's and none of them were very good to be honest. This one however looks like one of the originals which Bass Player mag did say was, indeed killer... however times move and other manufacturers have moved the bar up quite a bit (e.g Lakland, Sadowsky). There is also the ongoing doubt about Gibson USA's quality control as I have seen reasonably recent Signature models (we're talking thousand of dollars) finished like a Chinese copy.
I would hang onto it if I were you as this bass is not worth flogging for £550-600 - I've done that before and regretted it every time :)

Rubbish title? "Tobias Killer B 5 Bass (Fender, Musicman)"

Firstly that Fender, Musicman thing is just rude and secondly what about people searching for "five string bass" or "5 string bass guitar" or similar. You've missed 'em.

Having said that, I think it's nice... and I'm just up the road in Glasgow :-)