Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM 500 - Serviced?

Toadonroll

I notice a lot of people saying they get their Ashdown ABM heads serviced every [i]x[/i] months/years.
I've had mine for 18 months now and feel like I'm missing out on something. What's it all about? What do they do when servicing an amp and should I get mine done? Should I send it to Ashdown?

So many questions, so little knowledge.

Ta

Kieran

[quote name='Toadonroll' post='238506' date='Jul 13 2008, 01:26 PM']I notice a lot of people saying they get their Ashdown ABM heads serviced every [i]x[/i] months/years.
I've had mine for 18 months now and feel like I'm missing out on something. What's it all about? What do they do when servicing an amp and should I get mine done? Should I send it to Ashdown?

So many questions, so little knowledge.

Ta

Kieran[/quote]
I always wondered what a service on a thing with no (pots aside) moving parts is about - especially if there's nothing apparently wrong. How many people get the hi-fis serviced?

With most amps there's not a lot that needs doing apart from maybe hoovering out the dust as a build-up can cause problems and perhaps a bit of contact cleaner on the jacks. Personally I'd leave pots alone unless they're getting noisy.

Valves do need to be replaced occasionally but pre-amp valves will last a fair few years but that depends upon use. With power amp valves they can need replacing and you do need a tech to bias them.

After about 10 years it can be worth having the electrolytic capacitors replaced as they definitely degrade leading to hum and funny overtones or be more prone to going pop altogther.

It would be good if a someone that carries out services could comment here as I'd also be interested to know what people are getting for their money beyond a hoover out.

[quote name='Toadonroll' post='239415' date='Jul 14 2008, 06:56 PM']Thanks for that, I've had a bit of a hoover...

Anyone know much else about this?[/quote]

Run it up out of the sleeve, get it hot and make sure both fans are working.

Make sure the valve is well seated in its socket and that the pins are not corroded.

Check that all the pots are functioning. Mine fell over once and the impact cracked the track on the sub-octaver pot. Only discovered after I'd sold it. :blush:

Clean all the pots and jack sockets.

Why not email Ashdown and ask for a service schedule, in the same way as garages publish service cshedules for cars.

I had Ashdown carry out a major repair / overhaul / upgrade to a power amp I owned once......cost more than £200 ( I know, I know ) and according to an electrical engineer chum of mine it is an absolute disgrace, mismatched power supplies, shoddy wiring, etc, etc. He was genuinely appaled.

Oh and it still hummed, and then broke down again within two months. I was so disgusted it eventually went in the bin. Will never ever buy Ashdown amps again.

S

[quote name='mrhectic' post='242054' date='Jul 17 2008, 07:23 PM']I doubt i'l ever get mine serviced. Probably wont get it looked at till it i come across a fault or problem.

But its good to have an idea of what they would do! see what you get for the money.[/quote]

I do recommend that you check that the fans are both functioning correctly. Fan failure can lead to epensive repairs.

I had mine done a couple of years ago , mainly because a couple of the pots were becoming scratchy. The tech found a couple of suspicious looking solder joints also ( allegedly) and gave it a hoover out ... oh yea, and provided me with the electrical certificate to show it was safe .
It was the first time I've had an amp serviced but it did give some piece of mind . I had some pretty important gigs shortly after and it's always nice to know your equipment is working at it's best.

[quote name='obbm' post='242061' date='Jul 17 2008, 07:34 PM']I do recommend that you check that the fans are both functioning correctly. Fan failure can lead to epensive repairs.[/quote]

It seems to come down to the point that the average owner should be able to do the most "usual" bits of a service, i.e. a hoover out, check the controls work by widdling the knobs and check the fans. Doesn't really need an electronics engineer.

Once an amp gets old though a renovation (rather than a service) may be in order for the components that degrade but I remain convined that most so-called services are not worth it.

[quote name='obbm' post='242061' date='Jul 17 2008, 07:34 PM']I do recommend that you check that the fans are both functioning correctly. Fan failure can lead to epensive repairs.[/quote]

thanks for the heads up! Im pretty sure the fans are ok....for now... :)

• 4 months later...

I recently had a problem with my 2 ½ year old ABM 500 EvoII in that the pots had become very noisy. When I started a thread about it, my fellow bass chatters suggested a squirt of contact cleaner would do the trick. I emailed Ashdown and got a very quick response saying just the same. So, for the cost of a can of Servisol (£2.49 + £1.50 p&p on eBay) I now have my amp sounding as good as new.