Why become a member? ×

Pino Playing Fretless With NIN

HowieBass

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1396682276' post='2416300']
I'm sorry to buck the love, but I wish NIN had given PP a wide berth. There's a whole other topic about this elsewhere. This is not the band I've grown to love over the last two decades any more.
[/quote]

Hardly bucking the trend if you see my posts!

But I agree. The new album and the stuff with Pino is very melodic and smooth, like a pop industrial band, and is very good at that. Any group should be happy to have that sound, if you want mainstream pop success. Its the sort of thing that can get in the charts and I am sure that financially it will do well. As you see, a lot of people who didn't really like or know much NiN like it, I guess there are more of them than actual long term fans. As I said, you have to cheer up sometime.

But NiN definitely up to further down the spiral, and slightly less so up to with teeth was different, it had a hollowness and emotional [i]want [/i]to it that no other group had. Which is why I said he damaged sanctified.

That track had a pleading and desperation to it that was emphasised by the consistency and simpleness of the bassline and the emptiness of the song - it is a sad pathetic song, conveyed by the lyrics and enforced by the lack of noise and that is how it worked.
The version in that first song is a pop song. It works ok, the bass playing is impressive it says 'look at me', the backing singers say 'oh I can fill this space in'. Might as well have changed the words, it makes no sense any more in the way it really did.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1396683246' post='2416315']
Im going to see them in May too, cannot wait!
[/quote]

I saw that gig at the O2, was good, so first time back at the O2 to see them in May. Kind of wished I hadn't heard that version of sanctified, but as I said, saw them at scala with the old version so can't complain too much!

Edited by Woodinblack

Can you imagine PP stepping into this line up?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfV7NLCWiiU[/media]

I don't doubt the guy has talent in abundance (even though in the early days you'd have said he stole most of his chops from Mick Karn and Percy Jones), it's just that to me he's a session/jobbing musician looking for the next paycheck and I despise a lot of the guys he's played with to boot. I just find it a little hard to take on board that NIN now have a guy on board who (as a good friend of mine commented) has whored his way around the music business. I would really like to know what PP thought of Nine Inch Nails when he was doing all his stuff with (the frankly wretched talent that is) Paul Young in the early 90s.

The whole demographic of NIN has changed right now. Hesitation Marks is a bit of a low point for me.

Edited by NancyJohnson

I could be wrong but I think most people go looking for Mr Palladino rather than the other way round and knowing what Trent Reznor is like I think he's pretty keen on getting things done how he likes rather than letting others steer his ship. Of course, as with many bands, he's decided to move NIN on rather than stagnate which is probably why the band has come back from what most people imagined was its demise a few years ago (at which point HTDA and soundtrack music became Reznor's creative outlet). At least you can go back and listen to Pretty Hate Machine whenever you like but I doubt that NIN will ever play the material live exactly the way it was first recorded. I'm in a slightly similar position with Radiohead and the albums following on from OK Computer, but then when In Rainbows appeared I fell in love with the band again.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1396709565' post='2416655']
I could be wrong but I think most people go looking for Mr Palladino rather than the other way round and knowing what Trent Reznor is like I think he's pretty keen on getting things done how he likes rather than letting others steer his ship. [/quote]

No question, he is in a different band now, doing more mellow and probably more mainstream stuff, and that is fine, Pino suits that.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1396709565' post='2416655']
Of course, as with many bands, he's decided to move NIN on rather than stagnate which is probably why the band has come back from what most people imagined was its demise a few years ago[/quote]

Which I thought at the time was a good thing - as he said at the time, NiN had reached its end (I saw the farewell tour) and he wanted to do something different. That was the right thing to do, and he wanted to go and do that stuff he was doing with his wife.

Unfortunately he decided to bring NiN back, I think he should have carried on with another band, wouldn't have stopped him doing NiN covers like he does now with NiN.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1396709565' post='2416655']but I doubt that NIN will ever play the material live exactly the way it was first recorded.
[/quote]

They did at scala last august, it was pretty good.

I don't doubt the guy has talent in abundance (even though in the early days you'd have said he stole most of his chops from Mick Karn and Percy Jones),

Do we not all have to start somewhere? Why not learn from the best? If I was to go under the knife tomorrow I would want a surgeon who had learnt his chops at a top medical school not at the local pub.

I just find it a little hard to take on board that NIN now have a guy on board who (as a good friend of mine commented) has whored his way around the music business.

It must be truly awful earning a solid wage playing bass all the time. Being constantly asked to join this project or that project, do a bit of traveling and get to challenge yourself musically in innumerable different styles and situations must be a huge drag. Does your friend have a similarly high opinion of Lee Sklar, JMJ, Jaco, Marcus Miller, Nathan East, Bernard Purdie, Steve Gadd, Keith Carlock. Larry Carlton, Steve Lukather, Omar Hakim and all those classical soloists who just seem to wander aimlessly from one orchestra to the next ready to shred that Tchaikovsky concerto?

NiN has always been Trent Reznor + session/jobbing musicians. Pino's like all the rest: I daresay Reznor asked him if he could play and he said yes. When NiN don't need him, the next player will be along.

PP has done a brilliant job. Where he's been asked to make his mark he's done it; where he needs to be more faithful to original versions he's spot on.

Also, I think Reznor has earnt the right to push things in any way he fancies; he clearly doesn't want to be limited to playing his hits in a formaldehyde atmosphere just for the hardcore fans who wish it was still 1993. He can do that when he wants; he can play about with HIS material when he wants. As a NiN fan I find it refreshing and interesting. Different, yes. But if it was the same as the first time I'd be worried and wonder what exactly the point was of him doing it all again. Reznor is definitely more Bowie than Status Quo!

I'm a massive NiN fan too, and I personally love what they are doing as well as loving how they did it prior. Seen them live more times than I could list, and have loved it every time.

I see this as being the NiN equivalent to George Lucas f*cking with Star Wars - The hardcore fans will not generally like 'their' baby being changed, but at the end of the day, we don't have a say, so if its not for you anymore, I say move along and save yourself the rise in blood pressure if it REALLy gets to you.

• 1 month later...

Well, saw NiN last night at the o2, and very good gig it was. Not sure who the bass player was, other than he was also the drummer and one of the guitarists (and I think that he shared bass playing). Again different version, but I think he suited the band much better.
Considering it was the hesitation marks tour, they didn't do much from hesitation marks!

--
for completeness, now I look, it was Ilan Rubin playing bass for most of it and Josh Eustis playing some of the others.

Edited by Woodinblack

He did a completely different take on sanctified, a distorted, much higher version and it really worked, regardless of what I said at the beginning. So I guess my problem was not that I didn't like an old classic being redone, I just didn't think it had been redone well!

Edited by Woodinblack

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1396706090' post='2416613']
I don't doubt the guy has talent in abundance (even though in the early days you'd have said he stole most of his chops from Mick Karn and Percy Jones)[/quote] I'm very familiar with the work of Mick Karn, Percy Jones and Pino Palladino: you're saying that an orange stole from an apple and an ananas. Three completely different styles of fretless bas playing. In fact I'm surprised you didn't put Jaco in there too...

Personally I can't say I love Pino with NIN, because NIN never were my cup of tea... but Pino makes it interesting, in fact Pino could make elevator music sound interesting, he's that good!

Edited by Shedua511