Why become a member? ×

A great youtube bassist.

bubinga5

he's obviously a Pino fan. but i think his playing is great. you might say that he's playing every note to the letter, but it highlights for me how good pino palladino's bass playing is. .people who play covers can only get so good, i know, but its still great to hear a bassist doing something well.

i was waiting to hear how he executed the fantastic fills that Pino plays on this record, and he doesnt let down. great playing from Miki Santamaria. and a lovely tone from that Pino Custom shop.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTh9VFGg7RU[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1396385697' post='2413079']
At first I found his timing too frantic and it made me feel anxious, but he settles in really nicely in the second half.

That does sound like an octave doesn't it.
[/quote]im interested to know your thought's on why you find his timing too frantic, at the start Nige..? not knocking your opinion buddy, but do you know something about good timing that i don't ? ;) am i missing something

Edited by bubinga5

Sounded too far ahead of the beat for me and generally not sweetly timed. It might have been that the backing was so quiet. It's just a perception thing though, clearly for most it sounds fine. I'm not keen on his tone either :)

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1396443890' post='2413689']
Sounded too far ahead of the beat for me and generally not sweetly timed. It might have been that the backing was so quiet. It's just a perception thing though, clearly for most it sounds fine. I'm not keen on his tone either :)
[/quote] i can't say that I'm overly keen either on the tone, but for the song, i think its necessary. as for timing, the only thing i can think of, is its a P bass, and has a fatter spread of note, so is maybe not as focussed as maybe a Jazz. that and maybe the recording.? I'm only guessing to be honest. and I'm not one for telling people what they can hear. different ears and all that. :)

Edited by bubinga5