Why become a member? ×

Unexpected New Bass Day

kendall

Found myself in a junk shop this morning with Mrs K looking at odds and sods for the house, when I spotted a six string bass in the corner covered in dust. On closer inspection, it was a Shine Extreme bass. I had recently read a favourable review of these in BGM so decided to give it a try. I was quite taken with the feel of it and the sound was much better than I expected. It was tagged at £75, so after a bit of haggling I walked away with it for £55.

A quick clean a polish and its pretty much immaculate. Frets perfect and bar a small scratch on the back the rest of it's spot on. Never really wanted a six string bass but couldn't resist once I'd had a go. The B string has an incredible thump to it.

Oddly enough, it reminded me of an Ibanez SR I used to have a few years ago and regretted selling. Doing a spot of google, I've discovered that Shine make some the Ibanez models. All in all, a nice bass for the cash.

Best Monday i've had in ages.

Edited by kendall

• 9 months later...

Well its nearly a year since I picked this bass up. I was noodling with it last night and reflecting on what a nice bit of kit it is for the price. I have changed the strings and that's it. It handles drop tuning (drop A) perfectly - strings not floppy, no buzz etc. Sounds are pretty good and with a tube screamer it's a bit of a beast.

Amazing what you can get these days for next to nothing...... I think brand new they are only about £150 which is amazing.

Edited by kendall