Why become a member? ×

Help with unconventional Jazz Bass wiring

Storky

So, I'm looking at getting a Jazz Bass to sound a bit more full. I don't need tonal variety - one good sound is what i'm after for a rock based band.

Am I correct in thinking that I will achieve what I'm after if I wire the two single coil pick ups as one "humbucker" in series rather than in parrallel? Will I get a bigger sound, more volume and have the added bonus of no hum?

I guess I'd only need one volume knob, so could i also add a two band pre' (like the East 2band MM for e.g.) and have bass and treble in the other two knobs?

Does anyone out there know how to do this?

Appreciate your thoughts....

I had a five string Jazz bass with a mini toggle switch on the control plate to put it in series mode, as you say you get a slightly fatter tone and only one Volume knob works, I wouldn't say it sounded louder though just a bit fuller, I used it like that most of the time.

black wire of one pickup connects to the white wire of the other, then use the remaining black and white as the signal and ground wires as if you've only got one pickup - which effectively you have. :)

the signal or 'hot' wire goes to the centre lug of the volume pot that you want to use, and the ground wire goes wherever you're grounding to - convention is to 'star ground' all the ground wires to the back of a pot together, so look for a bunch of wires all bundled together soldered to something metal - that's probably it.

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1395697308' post='2405316'] black wire of one pickup connects to the white wire of the other, then use the remaining black and white as the signal and ground wires as if you've only got one pickup - which effectively you have. :) the signal or 'hot' wire goes to the centre lug of the volume pot that you want to use, and the ground wire goes wherever you're grounding to - convention is to 'star ground' all the ground wires to the back of a pot together, so look for a bunch of wires all bundled together soldered to something metal - that's probably it. [/quote]

Thanks for the info' Paul.

I have the S-1 mod on mine, on the volume control, with a 5 position switch for pickups (basically a blend with notches) and a stacked two band EMG pre. But I do find I prefer the Jazz sound on some tunes. The series sound can get a bit woolley. You lose some treble and gain some mids. I think it's always better to have options personally!

Diagram here:

As you can see, it doesn't change the appearance much:

Having the pickups in series is a pretty close approximation to a P-Bass sound (as close as you'll get from a Jazz anyway).