Why become a member? ×

SBMM Sub Ray4 - opinions?

Hank Scorpio

I've mostly been playing Precisions for the last year or so, and thought I'd go for a new instrument that compliments that next time - active bass, bridge pickup, humbucker etc, and this seems to tick those boxes. I tried one in a shop last year and it felt good, but other than that I have no experience with them.

Any thoughts from someone who's lived with one for a while?

They look to be a bargain at that price, so I'm also wondering if the pre-amp is up to scratch. If I was to get one, should I also budget for, say, a SD Basslines pup & 3 band pre-amp?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

I got one at the start of the year and it's an amazing bass for the money.

Hardware is a bit cheap and cheerful but it all works fine.

The preamp is a bit hot and the volume control is more or less an on/off switch. I considered replacing the preamp, but in the end just lowered the pickup quite a lot.
I've not tried the SD pre-amp, but I do have a John East MMSR 3 band in my USA EBMM S.U.B. (which was originally one of the passive ones) and that works really well.

The neck is nice and easy to get on with - very similar in size and profile to the Mighty Mite Jazz neck I've got on my MIM J.
Stock strings were awful and the nut needed a little bit of a file to get it setup how I like it, but that's to be expected at the price, I think.

The battery box is a bit naff - the battery connector clip is separate to the box itself - just one of those 9V clip on ones that feel like they're going to break every time I try and unplug a battery from it. I've got another battery box I've been meaning to fit instead, just never got round to it.

It's a great little bass. Apart from being rather hot, have no issues with the stock electronics, it works fine with the Terror Bass which an active pad. I did try out a Stinger pre-EB style 2-band EQ, but went back to the stock one as it had more bite. I have considered the SD setup too, but am just really happy with the stock sound at the moment!

Also, fitting a 3-band EQ would mean having to route a new hole for the jack socket on the side of the bass.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1395321470' post='2401055']
If you are serious about buying a Sub new, there is a Ray34 in black for sale on here at the moment for a great price. I used to own one and can honestly say they really are as good as the real thing. I only sold mine as I needed to fund a new amp.
[/quote]

I did consider that, the one with the RW board right? I would prefer maple, but it's something I'll keep in mind - I'm still not sure I need another bass!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1395319821' post='2401017']
It's a great little bass. Apart from being rather hot, have no issues with the stock electronics, it works fine with the Terror Bass which an active pad. I did try out a Stinger pre-EB style 2-band EQ, but went back to the stock one as it had more bite. I have considered the SD setup too, but am just really happy with the stock sound at the moment!

Also, fitting a 3-band EQ would mean having to route a new hole for the jack socket on the side of the bass.
[/quote]

The SD 3 band can be had with a stacked bass & treble knob, so can be kept with the same current layout. A 2 band may be plenty for me, mind.

Thanks for the good advice so far, keep the opinions coming!

[quote name='Hank Scorpio' timestamp='1395322362' post='2401079']The SD 3 band can be had with a stacked bass & treble knob, so can be kept with the same current layout. A 2 band may be plenty for me, mind.

Thanks for the good advice so far, keep the opinions coming!
[/quote]

Same with the John East one - treble & bass on one stack, and mid frequency adjuster on the outer ring of the mid boost/cut control....

[quote name='stoo' timestamp='1395323541' post='2401106']
Same with the John East one - treble & bass on one stack, and mid frequency adjuster on the outer ring of the mid boost/cut control....
[/quote]

How do you find the range of adjustment on the stock pre-amp? I see you said the volume knob doesn't have a lot of adjustment in it.

I've read in a few places that it's a very hot instrument, so sounds like lowering the pup is a good move.

I`d echo sblueplanets thoughts on the Sterling Ray34, great basses.

Re the Sub, I tried one at The London Bass Guitar Show and was very impressed, played fantastic, and although I only heard it through headphones, it sounded good.

I run mine with volume on full, bass and treble both on about 9 out of 10. It is hotter than my other basses, but it's only an issue if you want to switch basses mid set, or if you have a pedal or amp that doesn't take kindly to hot input signals. I find I can control the volume easily with the volume knob if I need to, mine isn't like an on/off switch.

This is also the first maple board I've actually got on with, all others I've had have been really glossy and plastic feeling, but this has a nice thin satin finish. Also the neck is slimmer than the Stingray and Ray34 as mentioned above.

I have one! However, it is my first bass and I don't even have a proper amp yet so I'll leave the tone considerations to others. It is hot though, I could tell that easy enough.

I can say that it's pretty well built, a few flaws in the finish that you wouldn't pick up if it you weren't looking super hard. The neck is narrow. It's lightweight for a bass, you may or may not like that. Weight is fairly balanced with a slight edge of being neck heavy because of the lightweight body. Don't know what material the nut is made from but it doesn't look very pretty.

Stock strings are rough. Are they EB strings?

I got mine when Chappells of Bond Street were selling off all their gear before they became the Yamaha store. You can see it in my avatar.

[quote name='Hank Scorpio' timestamp='1395323896' post='2401117']
How do you find the range of adjustment on the stock pre-amp? I see you said the volume knob doesn't have a lot of adjustment in it.
[/quote]

I did't put that very well - the volume's got plenty of adjustment - it goes all the way from loud to silent! - it's just that most of the change happens near one end of the pots travel. Not really an issue at all.

The preamp adjustment doesn't seem to be affected in the same way - and also they've got a centre position detente, unlike the EBMM 2 band. I like that, as I generally run it on or near the centre click most of the time and it's a handy point of reference.

[quote name='Heket' timestamp='1395346571' post='2401476']
Stock strings are rough. Are they EB strings?
[/quote]

No, they're cheap no-brand Indonesian strings.