Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MAG115 combo plus extension cab

Rusco

Hi,
I'm finding my MAG11 115 combo is struggling to keep up with our new drummer and our two guitarist who like playing at ear bleeding volumes.

I'm wondering if adding an Ashdown 115 slim cab will help or if I should be looking at a new more powerful/louder combo ?.

I've previously been put off the extension cabs due to the size difference to the combo, probably not a valid reason!

Anyone added the cab to the combo and thinks it a worthwhile addition ?

Cheers

Adding another cab will get you a lot more volume, not necessarily due to getting full power of the amp, but due to more speakers going. A 115 combo at 200 watts (approx what it puts out at 8ohms without an ext cab) against a loud drummer and 2 guitarists intent on showing off their power is very unlikely to keep up. Two of the same speaker will get much better results due to getting full power from the amp, more speaker area, and the second speaker being higher up so you`ll hear yourself better.

In my band I use a Markbass 112 combo with 112 ext cab. Volume wise the combo is plenty loud enough on its own, but adding the ext cab makes the depth of sound so much better - suddenly what was loud enough is much fuller.

It's also worth getting the guitarists to turn the bass down on their amps (to near enough zero) & pointing their cabs directly at their heads. I've got a guitard who likes to stand at the side of the cab & turn it up. The amount of times I've wanted to go & turn the cab to face him or the wall (or make him face the wall).

If your drummer will rehearse with hotrods (or learn to play at different volumes), then you might find it's easier to get the twangers to turn down too. :)

I find it when I play with my rock band/pop rock stuff I really need those mids to cut through and hear myself as well. Like Lozz196 mention it doesn't sound good solo but it will work in band situation.

Only time when I need to scooped mid to get that thick warm bass tone is when I play in church, because the church worship leader prefer strong bass note to be felt than heard.