Why become a member? ×

Fender Musicmaster bridge

beely

Hi.

I have my eye on a Musicmaster.
The only thing that bothers me slightly about this guitar is the bridge.
I see that it's not possible to adjust the intonation for each string individually.
Has anyone had a problem with this?

If so, is it possible to retro-fit another type of bridge, for example one from a Mustang or something similar?

Cheers for any advice.

My girlfriend has a squier Bronco, it's really nice actually, and I've never had an issue with the intonation, using the 2 saddle bridge. If it was an issue for you it should be easy enough to drill a couple of extra holes and fit 4 normal saddles. I don't know of any 4 saddle bridges that would fit straight in, but there probably is one, if not it shouldn't be too difficult to fit a normal fender one.

To my mind the, erm, "basic" bridge is all part of the Musicmaster vibe / appeal. Personally I've never had an issue with the intonation on mine, nor with the similar style bridge on my '51 Re-issue Precision. Have to confess it's been a while since I fiddled with the intonation on either, but if memory serves just concentrate on getting the intonation as good as possible on the higher string of the two pairs (so A and G), and you should hopefully find the E and D also end up acceptably close.

^^ This^^

I have a Musicmaster and the intonation/simple bridge is not an issue. The output from the pickup was, though - quite a weak sound and not a great tone. I had Bass Doc rout a space for a MIJ Precision pickup I had kicking around and make a new scratchplate for it - sounds brilliant now. I call it my Mustangmaster :)

[quote name='beely' timestamp='1394909684' post='2396634']
I hadn't thought about the pickup not being too good.
That kind of takes the gloss off.
I may stick with my original intention and go for a Mustang.
[/quote]

I replaced the original six-pole pickup on mine with a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Strat pickup - this fits nicely inside the original pup cover so doesn't spoil the looks, and it turns the humble little Musicmaster into a completely different beast altogether. Have to confess that now I'm a good few years older / more mature / wiser (well, one out of three ain't bad... ;) ) I wish I'd gone for a Cool or Vintage Rails so it wouldn't be quite so extreme, but hey...