Why become a member? ×

HK Elements P.A

JTUK

Has anyone tried out an HK Elements system?
I haven't seen it but we are borrowing it from a company who have
8 subs, so god knows what they are using it for, if a system with a pr of subs
and the towers is rated at 2400watts and suitable for large clubs and small open air..
We plan to run the 2 subs and 2 towers for a small pub.

We are going to change our P.A or need alternatives and this has presented itself.

So, the question is.... can this REALLY cope with a loud band..?
maybe gtr and key bleeds will be used at the 1st outing, so not worked really hard
( on paper ) apart from getting in front of the pokey backline and drums.

This is the type of spec

[url="http://www.e-av.co.uk/pa-speakers/hk-audio-elements-smart-base-portable-pa-system?gclid=CNLxv_idj70CFQkUwwodHzAAQw"]http://www.e-av.co.uk/pa-speakers/hk-audio-elements-smart-base-portable-pa-system?gclid=CNLxv_idj70CFQkUwwodHzAAQw[/url]

Any opinions?
TIA.

I have specced one up to use in Church and tried one out in situ. The room is a 450 seater and during set up we gave it some beans to see what happened. It got pretty loud! I am still waiting for delivery so cannot comment definitively, but it would certainly be worth your hiring one to see how it works for you. It is hassle free to rig and packs down easily. I have friend in Cardiff who you could hire. He runs his with a loud soul band with 4 piece horn section having come from the standard RCF on poles tyoe of set up and is more than happy.

ok, thanks. I will see how this Elements system works.
I am hoping the system has the 8 mini speakers per side as that would rate 300watts
...if it only has 4 then I am not confident it will work or be man enough.

I best check ... fortunately, the user/system has 8 subs, so I guess we can pair up the tops and run 4
if we need to use more..

I think we are going down this route as it was the first one offered...
We also have a Nexo PS10 and LS600 rig to try..and I am really keen to hear that.

Can I ask why the change? Our band has been looking at a powered system for function work and I'm interested in the QSC k12s with a pair of powered subs which I recall you were talking highly of. Have you had problems with the Qsc rig?

No problems with the QSC..more problems with them being available for every gig
and this is one of them.
We wouldn't change by choice but have to contemplate it.

I have been looking at options to the QSC KW's and we think they are a better cab than the K12's.
Other cabs that have come into the equation and are regarded or rated as comparable to K12's
appear to be Yamaha DSR112, JBL 612's and the EV ELX112. and I think the DSR and ELX are
wooden boxes.
In my research, I think the QSC kit is decent quality and the warranty is good but then the kit also
seems pretty reliable so confidence in the brand all round is high and regarded. How the other brands
compare in that regard, I am less sure...the kit seems newer as well, so ..??

We also haven't been that knocked out with the K subs so we went elsewhere, but I think the K series
P.A and subs sets a good standard for an earning and stable function band if they feel able to commit
£3k or so.
The KW12's alone are pretty decent in a pub and small hall for us and we run full keys, gtr and kick thru them
and we aren't quiet by any means.... I don't say that as a badge of pride as we are just too loud, but the
point is the KW12 keep up and produce and I think the K12's would do the same...we just think the KW12
sound the better of the pr.

I aw a metal band in my local a few weeks back using one. 4 smallish subs and 2 towers. All the band was miced and It sounded superb. Crystal vocals. The guitar player and nominal leader of the band is a pal - he works in the industry and could use any PA gear he wanted to for jack sh*t. Our PA is good , but this was better.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1394916173' post='2396736']
ok, thanks. I will see how this Elements system works.
I am hoping the system has the 8 mini speakers per side as that would rate 300watts
...if it only has 4 then I am not confident it will work or be man enough.

I best check ... fortunately, the user/system has 8 subs, so I guess we can pair up the tops and run 4
if we need to use more..

I think we are going down this route as it was the first one offered...
We also have a Nexo PS10 and LS600 rig to try..and I am really keen to hear that.
[/quote]

Also EV have just launched the ETX range..... proper loud and ideal for the function circuit... should have product in uk around beginning of May

Thanks guys, feeling more confident that this will work for us in a smallish pub.
Will need to go from there to see how viable it is so will report back.

EV seem to be doing good stuff as the ELX is rated close to QSC sound-wise... at a good few hundred
£'s less per unit, I think, Don't know about EXT range.

Depends if I want it just for my band..or whether I want to go Pro sound...which is an option/opportunity and then
things like Nexo and D&B come into it at S/H prices. Pro Spec riders, sub hire etc might make sense for not so
much more money...but the step up in sound is a nice bonus..
I am not sure there is much scope for hiring out Elements type stuff round here..???

I'd be very wary of the EV ELX tops as the non powered version specs of 95db/w for the Elx112 show them to be relatively inefficient meaning that even with the claimed 1000w you'd still be lucky to get them anywhere near 120db let alone the 132 odd that they claim they can produce. You'd nearer 5000w to manage that and that's more than the drivers would cope with anyway I'd imagine.

If looking for a band solution where weight and carry are a factor... then we would go active, no question
so the ELX's would be the active version.

Having gone into it in a bit more depth, I am coming round to going for a Nexo solution
which can double as our band P.A plus I could sub this out to a company to double up
on their kit. Or I might want pro monitors as touring bands want certain makes in their riders.
and most locals can't or don't afford 9 top quality wedges..and need to source/hire in ..
If those same monitors doubled as a P.A then that might work. And if you are talking about
that sort of stuff, only Meyer is active.

The choice is to spend £1000-1500 and it is band only or a bit more and sub hire..
Having said all that... will run the Elements system this sat ...which can be borrowed
for a short while ... and see if that is an option.

If I was spending that sort of money for the Elements sys... the pro stuff appeals far more quality-wise.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1394839923' post='2395973']
I have specced one up to use in Church and tried one out in situ. The room is a 450 seater and during set up we gave it some beans to see what happened. It got pretty loud! I am still waiting for delivery so cannot comment definitively, but it would certainly be worth your hiring one to see how it works for you. It is hassle free to rig and packs down easily. I have friend in Cardiff who you could hire. He runs his with a loud soul band with 4 piece horn section having come from the standard RCF on poles tyoe of set up and is more than happy.
[/quote]

Sounds good. When you set up yours in church, please let me know how it goes because I believe the guys here are looking for a new PA.

Well, resounding success.

We use 4 tops and 2 10" bins. This size and weight of the thing was incredible as it fits in the boot of cars.
Very pokey against the band last night... and the fedback killer is good as well...
I remain wary of how well this can cope when you think about scaling it up...but a few regulars commented on the sound
and this is an area we do well at anyway, with the QSC's and so any positive coomenst augurs very well indeed.

[url="http://www.reidys.com/pr/pa-systems/hk-audio-elements-acoustic-one-stereo-system-11779/?&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=Feed&utm_campaign=PriceComparison&gclid=CPDFmNSpqL0CFe3ItAodijwALQ"]http://www.reidys.com/pr/pa-systems/hk-audio-elements-acoustic-one-stereo-system-11779/?&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=Feed&utm_campaign=PriceComparison&gclid=CPDFmNSpqL0CFe3ItAodijwALQ[/url]..

I make that 1800w..???

The singer was very sure it was better than our KW12' P.A...but I can't say as I never heard it out front in context.
The QSC with bins is 4k on paper...yeah, I know..and £3.5k plus... so if you put the same money into the elements system,
you have a super light and compact and very capable P.A...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1395572767' post='2403739']
I make that 1800w..???
[/quote]

If it is the one in the link then 1200W, I think. The Elements kit is a mixture of Active/Passive components, so if you had 2 Bins and 4 tops, 150w each but passive feeding off the bins, you end up with 1200W. If you had 2 additional amps, the ones that just plug in to the top of the bins replacing the pole you would get an additional 300W per side.
The Active bins on their own are rated at 300W and can feed 2 passive tops, (150W each) or a passive bin, (300W), to get the full 600W.

Sounds about right so that is why it might run out of juice anywhere much bigger.
I would say that would be good for about 100 people in a average pub floor space
and maybe you could get more mileage if you used decent backline.
So, expensive band for buck...but very good bang by all accounts and then if you need
to go bigger, the cost and space element kick in... but then it would do so with other P.A's
with bins anyway

Everyone I talked to really rates them, but since they are so modular, it is hard to know what they actually are
using.
But for what we had, in a very loud setting, with kick, keys and gtr bleeds, we had very positive feedback
from people who know how we normally sound.

I am sure we can double up the rig to demo it, ie 4 bins and 8 tops... which should be around 2400w... but that is a LOT of money.
I think plenty of bands could use the Band 1 rig but for a marquee, you may need to spend a bit more..??

What have you ordered?

Edited by JTUK

I am going basically for 2 x http://www.reidys.com/pr/pa-systems/hk-audio-elements-acoustic-one-stereo-system-11779/?&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=Feed&utm_campaign=PriceComparison&gclid=CPDFmNSpqL0CFe3ItAodijwALQ but need the install version rather then the stick on a pole version. It is proving tricky to get hold of via my local music shop. He has told me to look further afield.

• 3 months later...

Any further reviews on the HK Elements? I'm in a 5 piece wedding / function band and we are looking to beef up our sound but scale down on the size of the equipment. Is this possible? Can these systems handle everything?

Positives as well as negatives would be most welcome....

[quote name='Westie9' timestamp='1405360793' post='2501241']
Any further reviews on the HK Elements? I'm in a 5 piece wedding / function band and we are looking to beef up our sound but scale down on the size of the equipment. Is this possible? Can these systems handle everything?

Positives as well as negatives would be most welcome....
[/quote]

No.... IMO.
We used 4 array inits and 2 10" subs and ran out of steam in a pub.
This is only a 600w system for around £2000.
You'd had to think double that for a decent function of around 200 ppl
and therefore £4k and I think that puts you into territory where you don't have to worry about whether the kit is man enough.
For a little over £3k, you'll get QSC 10's and subs and this should be your benchmark...
Also consider Yamaha DXR/DSR and other 1000w rated actives and the equivalent Elements would need 4 subs and
you aren't really saving on carry space...???

So, after an extended trial with Elements, my conclusion is 'nice idea but not man enough'