Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass+piezo wiring help

I got some guy called John East to do all the hard work for me on my Jazz with Piezo. Not cheap but he does a good job ;) so I cant help you with a diagram however I had mine set up with a master volume then a blend pot between the jazz and peizo pickups. If I did it again I would definitely go for a switch to flick between the two. My point being that in my opinion there is little point in blending a Piezo into a mag pickup configuration. Its an either or in my view. I think you will need a pre for the piezo. There are a few out there that you can be used. East do a Piezo pre to that has mag inputs as well. Have a word with John.

A

Been doing the same thing, my tech guy is fitting a buffer preamp to a piezo bridge to blend with passive mag pickups.

Interesting that you say it's not worth blending them, I'm having 3 seperate volume controls on mine, may be a better idea to just have a switch and a tone control. I had seen the East piezo preamp and it looks tidy, will maybe think about getting one when I have the bass and have a better idea about whether I should change anything.

I added a piezo to a passive P and it added an extra layer of treble response, great for slap.
The bass in question is the light weight cut down festival bitsa you (APA) saw at the bass bash last year. I've accidentally bought a 24 fret neck for it and I'm fitting it with Jazz pickups. The piezo bridge is already on it, seems a shame not to wire it in.

I have the East piezo/mag pre (MPM-01) in my ACG fretless with piezo bridge and mag pickup. Excellent bit of kit and very flexible for configuring all sorts of mag/piezo configurations. In my case both the mag and piezo are buffered through the MPM-01 which allows for a very smooth and progressive blend between the two. Personally I get a lot of mileage out of blending the mag and piezo. Adding a bit of piezo to the mag opens up the sound and adds sweetness to the top end. Adding a bit of mag to the piezo progressively adds a bit more bite and focus. Lots of sweet spots for different situations on tap from a very full and open acoustic sound at one end to punchy and authoritative at the other.

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1394904355' post='2396549']
I have the East piezo/mag pre (MPM-01) in my ACG fretless with piezo bridge and mag pickup. Excellent bit of kit and very flexible for configuring all sorts of mag/piezo configurations. In my case both the mag and piezo are buffered through the MPM-01 which allows for a very smooth and progressive blend between the two. Personally I get a lot of mileage out of blending the mag and piezo. Adding a bit of piezo to the mag opens up the sound and adds sweetness to the top end. Adding a bit of mag to the piezo progressively adds a bit more bite and focus. Lots of sweet spots for different situations on tap from a very full and open acoustic sound at one end to punchy and authoritative at the other.
[/quote]

Hmm you have exactly what I have.................. I must be doing it wrong :blush:

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1394907954' post='2396603']
Hmm you have exactly what I have.................. I must be doing it wrong :blush:
[/quote]
I'm sure mixing a piezo with a two pup jazz config rather than a single HB/SC will give different results. Different types of pups and piezos will also give varying results. A[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]re you using Graphtech piezo saddles? [/color][/font]

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1394910388' post='2396644']
I'm sure mixing a piezo with a two pup jazz config rather than a single HB/SC will give different results. Different types of pups and piezos will also give varying results. A[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]re you using Graphtech piezo saddles? [/color][/font]
[/quote]

Its a generic one of the bay. It actually sounds fine for the money but neither seem to add anything to each other if blended.

A