Why become a member? ×

Commitment is a virtue !

Coilte

Recently I have been advertising for and answering adverts here in Dublin for band mates. It is the old story of plenty of interest, but when it comes down to nailing a day and time, coincidentally people's grannies get sick, the maintenance man is calling, the car is booked in for a service, a holiday short break is booked..etc, etc :D

Naturally, people have work and personal commitments and time is scarce, but if people cant agree on a common few hours a week to rehearse or simply jam, then it begs the question why they reply in the first place. I know there is the element of people getting "cold feet" but this is not an audition for "Steely Dan", just a group of people getting together for a jam/practice with maybe a gig later on.

The way I see it is, if the interest is there, the time will be also.

End of rant !! ;)

The internet has made it too easy for those who like the idea of being in a band, but don't really have what it takes to be a useful member.

Before if you wanted to join a band you would have to trawl through the notices on your local musical instrument store (or hip record shop) wall, write down the phone numbers of anything that sounded interesting and then actually give them a call and speak to the person who placed the advert. Just this much effort was great for weeding out the no-hopers and commitment-free types.

Nowadays it's just a question of going onto one of the join my band type websites and hitting reply to any advert that takes your fancy without thinking in advance of the consequences.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1394554241' post='2392611']
Nowadays it's just a question of going onto one of the join my band type websites and hitting reply to any advert that takes your fancy without thinking in advance of the consequences.
[/quote]

That explains why I'm in so many terrible bands these days....
:)