Why become a member? ×

When to form a band

bonnp

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1394563115' post='2392794']
and sometimes think its cool to hate them publicly
[/quote]
Yep. It seems that within basschat that it is "cool" to dislike songs because they are popular and have stood the test of time. I cant't help but feel its a bit of musical snobbery. Much more kudos to play some sh*tty obscure song that the audience have never heard of!

If you want to choose good songs that the audience will love then find the ones that people slag off here. Songs like Mustang Sally are still being played 50 years after they were written for a very good reason!

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1395175576' post='2399535']
Songs like Mustang Sally are still being played 50 years after they were written for a very good reason!
[/quote]

Yes, indeed. How many bands cover it with this much groove, though?
I believe this features The Swampers, the Muscle Shoals rhythm section - teenage white guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsjFi4KkOZc

Just do it, especially if you can play with a half tidy drummer, imho that's the point when bass suddenly takes off. You are the 'rhythm section', great feeling first time you lock in.

Don't worry too much about musical tastes to start off, just get the hang of playing anything. I was playing with some people from work last night for the first time. Had me doing Avicii - Wake Me Up, some anthemic dance track with a bass line of 4 notes. It was great fun actually, and a change from my normal hard rock stuff.

Also did Get Lucky by Daft Punk, which might be worth jamming on (don't worry about getting it exactly like the record or anything) with mates. Basically just a repeated 4 chord pattern with loads of scope to do simple fills from your scales. Easy to sound like a hero on that one!(or punk it up a bit ;-)