Why become a member? ×

Need a hard case for a Warwick Star Bass?

yorks5stringer

Thanks. Since the Terrorones got a van, I've been using the flight case for my Overwater which is the only one wide enough but about a foot longer than it needs to be. This will be far more more practical - especially when carrying into smaller venues!

BTW did you buy the gig bag? The bag itself is great but the straps are terrible, the flaps that are supposed to stop the metal parts digging into your shoulder are barely long enough. I wrote a scathing review on the Thomann site.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1394018940' post='2386906']
That's disappointing to hear. I was looking for a gig bag for my Epiphone Jack Casady and Fender Starcaster to share. Trouble is, are there any other options out there?
[/quote]

Not that I'm aware off, which is one of the things that I put in my review. I now own two "expensive" gig bags (the Warwick and a Mono M80) and while both provide a much higher level of protection for the instruments in them neither are very comfortable to carry when compared with the cheap Ritter bag I had previously.

I ordered one of those flightcases from Thomann, when it turned up it was a lot bigger than I'd imagined and far too cumbersome for me to cart around just for gigs and practice..
I just sent it back under their 30 day return and getting one of the gig bags that fit the star bass instead.

Oops, was it one of these that were cr#p http://www.thomann.de/fi/rockbag_hollowbody_bass_gigbag.htm ?

Edited by Highfox

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1394030215' post='2387106']
I ordered one of those flightcases from Thomann, when it turned up it was a lot bigger than I'd imagined and far too cumbersome for me to cart around just for gigs and practice..
I just sent it back under their 30 day return and getting one of the gig bags that fit the star bass instead.

Oops, was it one of these that were cr#p [url="http://www.thomann.de/fi/rockbag_hollowbody_bass_gigbag.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...bass_gigbag.htm[/url] ?
[/quote]

Yes it was. If you switch to the English version of the page you can read my less than favourable review.

In the end it depends what you need the case for. I need a robust hard case to go in the van when my band gigs. In this situation size isn't too much a concern, but a smaller case than the one I'm currently using, which according to the Thomann site the Warwick case is, won't go amiss in smaller crowded venues.

On the other hand when I'm walking to rehearsals I want something that's comfortable to wear for the 30 or so minutes it takes. The Warwick gig bag doesn't really do a very good job of this. It's certainly more comfortable to wear than the Mono, but the poor execution of the strap design means that getting it comfortably on your back is not at all easy.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1394033024' post='2387147']
Thanks BigRed.

I think it will be fine for me, normally it's just in and out of the car or van and a short stroll.

Don
[/quote]

For the car it will be fine. However I wouldn't trust it to sufficiently protect the bass in the back of a van unless you've got somewhere to put it out of the way of the amps, speakers, drums and any other heavy band gear. That's why I'm getting the hard case.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1394033226' post='2387151']
For the car it will be fine. However I wouldn't trust it to sufficiently protect the bass in the back of a van unless you've got somewhere to put it out of the way of the amps, speakers, drums and any other heavy band gear. That's why I'm getting the hard case.
[/quote]

I'll remember that if I have to stack it somewhere.
On the other hand I think that Rockcase could survive the apocalypse, you'll be safe.
I had a similar flightcase for my old Streamer but that was tiny in comparison.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update on this.

The case is very impressive if somewhat large (although that isn't a problem for me). However the example that I was sent had been poorly assembled and the lid didn't close properly. Thomann were very quick to deal with the problem and the case was collected the day after I supplied photos showing the problems. However, since then I have heard nothing. I sent an email to them last week without any reply. Any ideas as to how to get some information out of them?