Why become a member? ×

Best Bridge for Super Sustain?

bassatnight

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1394614591' post='2393232']
Aye, it is.
[/quote]

however to add to my previous post and also disagree with Mr Fionn, i cant explain why but.... i recently modded a squier vmJ fretless with a gotoh 401 bridge

my ears tell me that the sustain is marginally better than my fretted J, or if it is not the sustain then it is possibly some cunning audio illusion caused by the different tone envelope of the fretless ? :blink:

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1394616855' post='2393272']
Is anything a fact in this business? ;)
[/quote]

The only fact is that there is are numerous exceptions to every fact. In the context of the above there is a general trend from basses with a cheap/lightweight bridge, poor materials/wood and a bolt-on neck offering less sustain than an instrument with a high mass bridge, and high quality graphite/wood through neck construction. But it's a trend, not a rule, and many basses will deviate from that trend. No one, no matter how expert, can tell you how any one bass will respond to modification with any degree of certainty. Trial and error is the only path, and as many have suggested, even if there is a difference, it can be both hard to identify and hard to discriminate from simple expectation.

But hey, if it wasn't for this kinda thing BC would be all 'Off Topic' and 'For Sale' :D