Why become a member? ×

Anyone dealt with Strings.ie?

molan

And you working in probably the best bass shop in the UK :) .

I've never heard of them, but I'm guessing you can't go wrong really, if you pay by Paypal the you'll get your money back, if you pay by credit card you'll get your money back :) .

Ireland's an EU country so there's no customs charges, unlike with the circle K strings I just bought :( , I was charged £8 handling fee by Royal mail !

Edited by ambient

"Strings.ie" are based here in Ireland. I have not dealt with them personally, but the owner of the site posts on a local forum and the site in general seems to be popular. I have not seen any negative reports.

Having said the above, I dont find their prices very competitive. I buy my strings at : [url="http://www.lordofthestrings.com/"]http://www.lordofthestrings.com/[/url]

Never had any problems with this site. See if they have what you require.

Edited by Coilte

Looking at the 'strings ie' site, am a bit confused as to why a single pack of D'Addario EXL170's is £14.80, yet a twin pack is £36.79!!

I usually buy strings once a year from this place [url="http://www.stringsandbeyond.com"]www.stringsandbeyond.com[/url]
Even after allowing for postage / possible duty they are still good prices - e.g. D'Addario twin packs $23.99.

The strings aren't for me, lol.

I have a good friend in the USA who's been looking a discontinued line of Dean Markley strings. There's an odd shop that stocks them but they are all huge money. Strings.ie not only have them but they are half the price of anywhere else.

Reason for asking questions about them was just that it's odd they are so cheap :(

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1393979992' post='2386668']
The strings aren't for me, lol.

I have a good friend in the USA who's been looking a discontinued line of Dean Markley strings. There's an odd shop that stocks them but they are all huge money. Strings.ie not only have them but they are half the price of anywhere else.

Reason for asking questions about them was just that it's odd they are so cheap :(
[/quote]

Ah , you must mean the Randy Jackson Alchemy strings.

I noticed them because I used to use them , and they are intriguing strings in many ways, with a unique sound. It's a shame the Dean Markley discontinued them , but I don't think many bass players were willing to fork out that kind of money for them , and after RJ jumped ship then that was probably the death knell for them.

Those strings had a lot of good points and a nice, sophisticated sound, but I found that the gold coating came off and they died pretty quickly. However, when they were dead they had a really unusual sound a bit like half rounds or even flat wounds that was quite fun to play with.

I would venture that this retailer has done a deal with Dean Markley, either in the U.K or in the States, for their remaining stock. I noticed in a branch of Guitar Centre somewhere or other in the States a couple of years ago that they were selling them off cheap, and probably were doing so nationwide. .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1394045652' post='2387369']
Ah , you must mean the Randy Jackson Alchemy strings.

I noticed them because I used to use them , and they are intriguing strings in many ways, with a unique sound. It's a shame the Dean Markley discontinued them , but I don't think many bass players were willing to fork out that kind of money for them , and after RJ jumped ship then that was probably the death knell for them.

Those strings had a lot of good points and a nice, sophisticated sound, but I found that the gold coating came off and they died pretty quickly. However, when they were dead they had a really unusual sound a bit like half rounds or even flat wounds that was quite fun to play with.

I would venture that this retailer has done a deal with Dean Markley, either in the U.K or in the States, for their remaining stock. I noticed in a branch of Guitar Centre somewhere or other in the States a couple of years ago that they were selling them off cheap, and probably were doing so nationwide. .
[/quote]

You are correct and win the official detective prize :)

My friend has them on a stunning Alembic and they look very cool. I think he's ordered a batch of them before they all sell out!