Why become a member? ×

The cold and my 5 string P bass, advice needed!

Adam Wiseman

Hi guys

Last week I had to have my neck adjusted as the action had lowered resulting in the strings touching the fret board, I had put it down to how cold it gets in my bands lockup.

Well this week two of the strings are touching the board again! I don't want to do any damage to my beloved bass and I don't want to keep getting it adjusted every week! Would it help if I brought it home after each practice rather than leaving it in the lockup?

Cheers

[size=4]If it is the cold that causes the change in the set-up, I would have thought bringing it back to "normal" temperature will change the set-up back unless it's not the cold, but it could be damp. Taking it home into a stable temperature[/size][size=4] has to be worth a try though. You need to find out if it's the cold or another problem.[/size]

[quote name='Adam Wiseman' timestamp='1393784238' post='2384350']
Thanks guys. The only reason that it is left in the lockup is because that is where all our gear is kept and we have never experienced any problems before. But yes, at least I know from now that I can't leave it there during the winter months. Cheers
[/quote]
If the environment that your instrument is stored in is uncomfortable for you to spend long periods of time in then it's not going to be good for the instrument.

This is the mantra of many manufacturers/luthiers. It makes sense as wood is in a permanent state of adjustment with regard to it's environmental conditions.