Why become a member? ×

Bass Weights

Absolute Beginner

As an owner of 2 vintage 70's modified jazz's with the maple body/neck I can tell you they vary greatly....supertanker anchor to plain average.

there are quite a few different flavors of vmj bass...maple, basswood, rosewood are used maybe other woods...its quite a range now.

I'd imagine an Ibanez SR300 will weigh less - probably substantially so - than any Squier VM Jazz model, even the lightest ones. I have an SR800 and it is one of the lightest basses I have owned at well under 8lbs. Current and past VM Jazzes have been 9-10lbs mark. There aren't many lightweight cheaper Jazz basses around - the lightest I have tried (and now own) is the Squier Jazz Deluxe, which is around 8.5lbs and a pretty good buy. Active, if you like that kind of thing.

The Ibby and Jazz won't sound the same, though.

Are you on about the maple/maple VM Jazz or the Sunburst/Rosewood? The sunburst has a Basswood body (I have one) and that is pretty light.

Active means that you have a pre-amp onboard the bass which allows you to make EQ adjustments at the bass and also normally gives your signal a boost too. This does require a battery inside the bass though.

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1392720928' post='2371892']
Active means that you have a pre-amp onboard the bass which allows you to make EQ adjustments at the bass and also normally gives your signal a boost too. This does require a battery inside the bass though.
[/quote]

Basically, active basses need batteries and passive ones don't - although it's not quite as simple as that as you can get active and passive pickups too! You can run passive pickups through an active preamp and vice-versa!

Generally though, passive tone controls only allow you to roll off or reduce the high frequencies - whereas an active tone control allows you to BOOST certain frequencies as well as cut them...

Or at least that is my understanding! :D

Neither is inherently "better" than the other, although active basses can give more tonal variations than many passive basses. Until the battery runs out, anyway. :huh:

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1392543128' post='2369764']
I'd imagine an Ibanez SR300 will weigh less - probably substantially so - than any Squier VM Jazz model, even the lightest ones.
[/quote]
You'd be right. Ibanez SR's, whilst being a variation on the same theme, benefit from a highly evolved design...and are more tactile and substantially lighter than traditional designs like the Squier.