Why become a member? ×

Covers bands and 'professionalism'?

The Admiral

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1392841903' post='2373463']
I can tell a covers bands proffesionalism within the first 6 seconds of the start.

If I hear only 4 clicks and bang off they go and up go the lights , you know it will be a good band.

Hear people get on stage and start plucking strings, bumping bass notes, or wait for someone to tune the guitar whilst the rest play random song parts and I know, it will only get worse.
[/quote]

These are very true words. If only it was easy to convince the rest of the band that this info is true!!!

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1392841903' post='2373463']
I can tell a covers bands proffesionalism within the first 6 seconds of the start.

If I hear only 4 clicks and bang off they go and up go the lights , you know it will be a good band.

Hear people get on stage and start plucking strings, bumping bass notes, or wait for someone to tune the guitar whilst the rest play random song parts and I know, it will only get worse.
[/quote]

worthy of being printed off in huge font and stuck to the walls of every rehearsal studio in the country

Additionally, no-one wants to hear the drummer see if he can get that Joey Jordison fill bob on while waiting for the guitarists to find "that" sound- "it's in there somewhere, or at least it was when I practiced at home yesterday"

Edited by CHW

That really depends.

I suppose the aim would be to check everything works then leave the stage and come back to create a definite difference between setting up and performing.

We don't necessarily get that opportunity when playing pubs. We arrive, some people are there, we set up, people arrive while we're setting up. We make noise, the singer arrives, says hello, buys a beer, plugs in his mic, says "one, two" and off we go.

I'm sure I the London philharmonic make quite a racket before kicking off. Some might say it's all part of the build up to the performance.

I know there's a fine line between checking the hi-hat hasn't moved 5mm and your amp hasn't blown up while you were waiting to go on and practicing the first four bars of the first tune at full volume.

It's always g
[quote name='CHW' timestamp='1392984089' post='2374895']
worthy of being printed off in huge font and stuck to the walls of every rehearsal studio in the country

Additionally, no-one wants to hear the drummer see if he can get that Joey Jordison fill bob on while waiting for the guitarists to find "that" sound- "it's in there somewhere, or at least it was when I practiced at home yesterday"
[/quote]

On the other hand, it's always good to warm up for the second set by playing along with the interval music. Especially if it's a tune you don't really know.

:swoon: