Why become a member? ×

Youtube comaprison videos

timmo

While lusting over a Roscoe, i have watched several clips of them being played. I also listened to some clover basses, and many others for comaparison. My question is, while watching clips, does the gear that the bass is played through make a massive difference? Lets assume the Roscoe is a lot better sounding than the Clover if they are played through the same amp. As the people rarely tell you what amp, lets assume the Clover is being played through a superior amp. Would that make it sound better, or does it also depend on the gear that the video is recorded through. Or does it all equal out because the recording listened through my 20 watt desktop speakers make them sound equal? I hope someone can get my gist on this, as i am not sure i have done my best at trying to explain what i mean

You can't really compare basses from YouTube clips if they're being played through desktop speakers. In fact, even if they were being played through full-range studio monitors it would make little difference, as people record these clips on wildly differing equipment of dubious quality. The only way to compare bass guitars is to play them and listen to them yourself. There are far too many variables to account for otherwise. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1392514133' post='2369658']
You can't really compare basses from YouTube clips if they're being played through desktop speakers. In fact, even if they were being played through full-range studio monitors it would make little difference, as people record these clips on wildly differing equipment of dubious quality. The only way to compare bass guitars is to play them and listen to them yourself. There are far too many variables to account for otherwise. :)
[/quote]

This, definitely.
There is a YouTube demonstration of my bass, and it sounds very different to the way it sounds when I play it, through my amp, with my preferred strings.

Thanks for the replies. I thought that might be the answer, but as i know nothing about gear other than the little amp i have in my living rom, i wanted to make sure that the quality of my desktop speakers wouldn`t drag the quality down to a more level field

I don't want to give the link, but I found a youtube video of someone playing a Ric., and in my opinion their playing and tone was ... substandard. There have been other videos I've seen where the instrument has sounded really different from other videos of the same instrument - clearly something is going on there.

It's a pity, IMHO, that more people don't record their instruments DI'd into a computer with EQ flat. Then listeners could put their computer output signal through their own processing/amp simulation or even better real amps, and see what the instrument will sound like to them.

I'd recommend decent budget headphones over budget desktop speakers when listening to anything via computer. Koss PortaPro headphones have got a pretty good bass response and are well rated and inexpensive http://www.amazon.co.uk/Koss-Stereo-Over-Ear-Headphones-Smartphone/dp/B00001P4ZH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392554594&sr=8-1&keywords=portapro+koss