Why become a member? ×

Metallica through the never... Thoughts?

Damonjames

So I finally got around to watching metallica through the never, an jut wondering what your thoughts were?
Loved the concert side of it, brought back the experience of seeif them live, the story line was a bit bizarre though.
The great thing is that rob featured prominently in the mix throughout, so I finally got to hear the bass line to and justice for all!!!
Only one question.... What's in the bag????

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1392506566' post='2369599']
So I finally got around to watching metallica through the never, an jut wondering what your thoughts were?
Loved the concert side of it, brought back the experience of seeif them live, the story line was a bit bizarre though.
The great thing is that rob featured prominently in the mix throughout, so I finally got to hear the bass line to and justice for all!!!
Only one question.... What's in the bag????
[/quote]

I'm a huge Metallicafan but my thoughts on this couldn't be worse. Glad I watched it free online. If I'd of paid I'd of been absolutely fuming, main points, no story line, stupid how it's basically cutscenes then keeps flicking back to the band. Possibly the worst film I've ever seen. As for the bag I don't even think even Metallica know what's in it. Just an excuse to have a storyline. Maybe they like to give the impression Cliff's ashes are in there or something. Can't ever be entirely sure! The Metallica I knew and loved were really 1981-2001. Not been a fan since James got clean and Rob got the slot. I thought Jason put in a hell of a lot more effort aswell as the perfect person in terms of style/image too.

I'd disagree, people don't think Rob fits the "image" of metallica, I'd like to think we could look past that nowadays.
I have never really been a fan of jason, I have always been a massive fan of cliff, so no one would ever compare IMHO. I do think rob is a great fit musically and prefer his tone and style. But that's just me! In my personal taste, I never got some if the things jason did with his bass lines, enter sandman for example doesn't sound quite right. Much prefer robs chops, and he looks pretty menacing in stage.

As for the movie, I'd give it a 7/10, if it was any other band I think I would have switched it off!!

I used to be 100% Cliff, and always took the weewee out of Jason (mostly because I was immature and thought that playing with a pick was lame), but really came to respect what he did, how tight his playing was, and how great his tone is. I loved learning the bass line he recorded for Blackened and it's a massive tragedy that you can barely hear him on Justice.

I too was initially immature in that I didn't rate Jason cos he played with a pick. I have never said he was a rubbish bassist though, and the more I learn about his style (I was a guitard when I was first into metallica) the more I see how punchy he was and his timing is exceptional. His energy on stage is also amazing, and helped drive the band along. Personally, I think his tone on the intro to my friend of misery is unrivalled, to me it is the perfect example of how great an ampeg can sound. I just think that stylistically he may not have been the best choice, but then again, who else was available? Who from that time would WANT to step I to Cliffs shoes?
Anyway, let's not start ANOTHER. Cliff/Jason/Rob thread, they all have more energy, style, chops and raw talent that most of us could ever hope to achieve.
I did enjoy the film, however, and am now gassing for a fender jazz with emg bts active pickups.... Mmmm, growly!!!!

I wish I still had my Bootleg of Metallica playing the NEC in 1988 or 89.
The sound quality was amazing for a bootleg and you could hear Jason's basslines.
Plus I was at the gig.

I saw a trailer for Through the Never and thought it looked just plain awful.

In my Rob v Jason in Metallica debate. I really like both. Rob is technically more proficient but Jason was not only a player but his backing vocals have really been missed since he left. Sometimes I think that Rob hasn't yet stamped his authority on the band in terms of pushing his ideas forward like Jason, but that is probably more because he is a generally laid back guy rather than him simply being a 'hired hand/session player' type replacement. I think Rob was a great choice for Metallica and fits the Metallica image/brand/whatever really well.

The film is ridiculous, the concert side of it was alright but it is essentially a rehash of Cunning Stunts with the snake pit added and some fancy live effects like the electric chair and tesla coils for Ride The Lightning. The set list is pretty underwhelming when compared to other shows they played on the same tour. I would much rather watch CS because at least at that time they still sounded good live and Lars was still capable of staying in time and playing the songs 80% correctly.

As for the Jason vs. Rob argument, Rob is the superior bassist but Jason commanded the audience a lot better and was great at backing vocals. Watching the videos of him playing with Metallica at their 30th anniversary really reaffirmed the difference Jason made to the band. Robs been with them for about 11 years now and it still doesn't feel like he's really in the band. I do find it odd that he seemingly must play a different bass on every song in the set.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1392915995' post='2374169']
Jason may have "pushed" his ideas in metallica, but they were almost entirely "pushed" into the nearest bin. It's a large part of why he left, he felt he had little to no creative input his entire tenure with the band.
[/quote]

That and he was forbidden to pursue his side projects, even during Metallica's down time when the others were off doing what they like doing.