Why become a member? ×

East MM Preamp

Charla

I have a MM 5 String and I'm thinking about installing the MM East preamp, the main reason being the the Fender Pre can be noisy and is susceptible to picking up `bad earth' noise at certain gigs.

Can anyone comment on the MM East pre as compared with the Fender?

Cheers

Charla

The John East MM pre was installed the Sub5 that I brought from The Beedster.

IIRC, that all happened after John East had a running dialogue in his Forum with people like OBBM and others here about the idea of a specific MM circuit, which inspired Beedster to get it fitted. He even then went on to modify the Sub5 to look like a natural 70's Ray, which he did brilliantly!

Just to say that in my view, the East designed 'pre' emulated the original 2-band Musicman Stingray e.q. really well, and had the added bonus of a variable mid e.q. sweep which made for a really flexible circuit.

In the end I sold the bass because I wanted a passive 5 in the end and one with 2 p/ups, but I rate the John East circuit very highly...

I had an East U-retro in my older Status S2. It could create a huge palette of sounds, but I eventually had it taken out and the original Status pre reinstalled, as I wanted the original sound.

If the East MM board does as people say it does, it'll be fantastic. Also have a look at a Sadowsky pre (either onboard or outboard in pedal form.) I've got the outboard & it's a stunning piece of equipment. I use it with my Marcus Miller Jazz & 08 Am.Std. Precision.

I think he may have been referring to a fender Marcus Miller preamp and the east equiv, not a musicman, which it we all thought he meant, im sure he,ll clarify.
mind you id be tempted to try the Musicman east pre in my sterling.
all the best- lee

Is this a Musicman bass?

The SR5 preamp has nothing whatsoever to do with Fender.
[/quote]

Edited by lee650

I've been away for a few days and have just seen the replies and appreciate the support given by fellow bassists.

Sorry about the confusion, but I was referring to the Fender Marcus Miller 5 string, I feel a bit of a dork for not making this clear in my first post, Doh!

However, I am seriously considering the East pre amp, I don't know if other owners of these basses find them noisy in certain situations but I've just got to make a change. I had the bass checked by my local tech (I live just around the corner to Jez Arkless, the man in the North East to see if you want your valve amps repaired) and he said it was okay, but at certain gigs it clicks and hums!

Cheers

Charla