Why become a member? ×

Hello Basschat

linear

Hi folks,

I've been lurking on here for ages and even subscribed so that I could buy some things, but this is my first proper post.

I've been mucking about with the bass for five years now, but it's very much been an on and off thing - a flurry of effort for a few weeks and then nothing for months - two steps forward one back and all that. I reckon I progress by about a month every year :) but I am making progress at least.

Band-wise, I was briefly in one in 2009 with a few mates; the band was formed specifically to play covers for a birthday function. We needed a bass player, and that's how I ended up switching from pretending to play the guitar to pretending to play the bass. We did a pretty decent job of it and went down well, but we couldn't keep it going after that. More recently I've been involved in a more creative endeavour, again with friends; one of whom is very competent musically, but the rest of us are real beginners. It's a great laugh, even if most of the time it sounds like four people playing four different songs simultaneously. We even managed to do a short set at a new bands night - critical opinion was divided :)

Anyway, I've got loads of questions that I've been saving up, so I hope to be posting a fair bit on here.

Nice to meet you all.

Hi Linear,

Welcome!
Do as we did in my experimental band Quasar Librax: try to play four totally different pieces at the same time. If you are as lucky as we were, and just as incompetent, you'll see that quite often this wil turn out like one coherent song played in perfect timing. Dunno why. Something with gods maybe.

This place is really instructive. Just last week I learned how to hold a bass guitar.
Anyway, enjoy!

bert

Edited by BassTractor