Why become a member? ×

Gregtar mk2 A.K.A 'Planktar'

GregRichardson

Hi I'm Greg

I know I have already used these next few paragraphs in my first post, but there is no point wasting time rewriting a back story that I have already made...

One night I woke up and thought "Hey, I want to learn how to play bass" then I went back to sleep. About five minutes later I though "Hey, I don't have any money at all" so I went back to sleep again, almost instantly I woke up and thought "Hey, I could build one".

So with my non-existent knowledge of guitars, electronics and carpentry, I set to work learning how to make an electric bass and after about 3 days of trial and error I finally made a bass from some 4x2 and a piezo. So after playing with this barely-working one stringed monstrosity I went to bed happily .

The next morning I woke up preparing to stroke my franken-tar, I couldn't feel anything, no splinters in my hand and no electric shock running through my body. After about an hour of looking under my bed, my mum informed me that she threw it away as she thought it was just a big piece of wood (which it was) now this would be all fine and dandy if it weren't 'bin-day' the same day. So after mourning the death of Gregtar Mark 1, I though "Hey, why dont I make a real bass guitar, one that you can actually play... (by the way I'm in my young teens so its not weird me living with my parents)

So that is where Gregtar mk2 that I nicknamed 'Planktar' started its life, as an idea. since I was trying to fit this into my busy schedule of school, watching T.V and eating Doritos until a magic thing happened, something I believe you mortals call 'Weekend' this gave me time to think about Planktar. After the whole week of thinking, thinking about how I could make a bass guitar that made fender shiver in its boots, a guitar that would sell millions in the first day, I finally scrapped the ideas and started thinking rationally, I actually put what I learned in science about piezoelectric sensors and bought a piezo buzzer (which I will later use for a pickup), I then bought a plank of wood and some eyebolts and eyescrews, I then got home and found that my plank of wood (Which I spent three whole dollars on) was crap, and I also noticed that guitars needed strings, I was definitely not going to use real guitar strings because then I would not be able to say I made it from scratch. So for a week I took my mind off the project and started looking for a bass to buy. The next weekend came along and I decided to start yet again on my planktar, I bought some extremely expensive wood ($5) and a new piezo (as I smashed the other one) and some 'Trimmer line' (the plasticy string you put in edging trimmers) and some better eyebolts. Tomorrow (the start of the school holidays) I am going to start work on actually putting the planktar together.

here are some photos of some of the items I am going to use (please note that this is back when I had the flimsy wood)
(sorry for the aweful quality picture, my connection to the internet is slower that dial up at the moment and this is the biggest I can upload)

I will post more recent photos soon

I am very sorry if I am making no sense, its because I am very tired... posting late at night again :)

Sounds like its going to be a quality Bass

I find the bass acoustics come alive if you fill the plastic box with a couple of sandwiches, the choice of filling is all important. Better yet is to add a chocy biscuit or two and a bag of cheesy Watsits (not the cheap Tesco branded variant, real Watsits....)

Luthiers should take note of this thread....

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='232707' date='Jul 4 2008, 02:27 PM']Sounds like its going to be a quality Bass

I find the bass acoustics come alive if you fill the plastic box with a couple of sandwiches, the choice of filling is all important. Better yet is to add a chocy biscuit or two and a bag of cheesy Watsits (not the cheap Tesco branded variant, real Watsits....)

Luthiers should take note of this thread....[/quote]

I must disagree with you on this point. Bread dough tends to muffle the sound and sandwiches, chocy biscuit and Cheesy Wotsits
is a bit too much filling. Maybe oatcakes (Stockens obviously) or a cheaper option would be Morrison's own brand tortilla chips ,lightly salted are best and should bring out the "highs" better and give it a crisper sound

I was thinking original walkers crisps (you cant beat original), a sandwich with ham and lettuce, a frogurt and a carton of milk (good for the bones I'll have you know).

You'll all be jealous when I am using my barely (if that) working planktar and you are all stuck with your crappy custom made 1000+ quid basses, So HA.

I'll post more photos today some time

WE DONT GET PRAWN COCTAIL HERE NOOOOOOOOO.........

we also don't get watsits, hoola hoops, quavers or anything else that is full of artificial everything :), they were my favorites.

on the subject of food, why don't cadburys make 'Dairy Milk all fruit', they make all nut but not all fruit, lets face it the only reason fruit and nut is so good is because of the raisins in it (here they use sultanas, they are obviously raisin wannabes but they can't even get the colour right, shame on them).

Just as I started making the Planktar my dad came up to me and said, "Greg, how about you and I paint the entire house" knowing that I can't stand doing anything active or anything that makes someone elses life easier, I replied no but still ended up having to do it :huh:

so HOPEFULLY I'll get started today :huh:

also what is the average length of the neck of a general bass guitar?

Edited by GregRichardson

[quote name='GregRichardson' post='233444' date='Jul 6 2008, 06:12 AM']on the subject of food, why don't cadburys make 'Dairy Milk all fruit', they make all nut but not all fruit, lets face it the only reason fruit and nut is so good is because of the raisins in it (here they use sultanas, they are obviously raisin wannabes but they can't even get the colour right, shame on them).[/quote]

All Fruit would be terrible, that's why. I like Whole Nut, and I thought I'd give Fruit and Nut a try, and it was terrible. It's not that I don't like raisins, or sultanas, but they don't mix with chocolate IMO.