Why become a member? ×

++++ TRADED ++++ 1971 fretless Fender Precision Bass
£1300

drums1977

For sale/trade my beloved 1971 Fender Fretless PBass. I have read that Fender started producing fretless Precisions at about this time, so this must be one of the oldest. It is VERY light, just 4 kg on my bathroom scales.

To my knowledge, all is original in this bass except the PU and the truss rod adjustment screw. When I got it, it had an active PU set installed, and an extra jack connector. I sent it to the technician, who removed the connector, repaired the hole in the pickguard and installed a brandnew set of handmade PBass Lollars that sound amazingly similar to a good set of late 60s Fenders. The original Truss rod screw was a bit skanky, so I had a new one installed. I sitill have the old one though. The truss rod works fine.

This bass has been played, and it looks it. The fingerboard is in great shape. The finish is original and in good condition, with dings and scratches. The paint at bottom of the body is more worn, please look at the pictures. I like the mojo, though.

[url="http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/roquefort2000/media/1971%20Fretless%20Precision%20Bass/IMG_0726_zps21c13190.jpg.html"][/url]

The bass plays and sounds great. I have detected a slight buzzing spot at the C position on the A string, that's all.
A lot of pictures here:

[url="http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/roquefort2000/library/1971%20Fretless%20Precision%20Bass?sort=3&page=1"]http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/ro...?sort=3&page=1[/url]

It comes in its OHC, and with the original PU cover, bridge cover and thumbrest.

For trades, I am interested in FRETTED Fenders, P or J, vintage or CS. I am doing this because I am rubbish playing fretless. I actually love this bass

Would be happy to trade for a more expensive bass adding some cash.

PMed your proposals. Cheers!!

Edited by drums1977

This is a lovely looking bass and the work you have done seems genuinely sympathetic to the bass. I wonder, do you have a picture of the end of the neck and is there a date stamp?

I'm interested in the bass and am just trying to find reasons to stop me putting in an offer.

[quote name='Jebo1' timestamp='1390914635' post='2351159']
This is a lovely looking bass and the work you have done seems genuinely sympathetic to the bass. I wonder, do you have a picture of the end of the neck and is there a date stamp?

I'm interested in the bass and am just trying to find reasons to stop me putting in an offer.
[/quote]

I remember the neck has no stamp on it, wihich is quite common, specially with non-standard necks. The body, if I remember correctly, did have builder stamp, I think it was the famous "Chambers" guy. If someone is really interested I could take the bass apart to take pictures. The trouble is I am rubbish at putting it back together.

By the way, all the wotk (PU intallation, pickguard repaIr) have been done by the best guitar technician in my city.

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1390928075' post='2351411']
great bass

when the bass had active pickups were any routes in the body made?

photos of the front body with guard off would be good plus photos of the neck stub and neck pocket if possible
[/quote]

No routing, no cavity modifications. Instead of enlarging the cavity, they changed the position of the jack connector in the pickguard. I will take pictures of it later.

Hi guys,

just took the neck apart and took some pictures. I have added them to the gallery here:

http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/roquefort2000/library/1971%20Fretless%20Precision%20Bass?sort=3&page=1

As I remembered, no stamp on the neck, "T. CHAMBERS" stamp on the neck pocket. No routing or modifications in the body.

Cheers.

[quote name='paulbkeeves' timestamp='1391027880' post='2352495']
Do you think you could PM me the details of the technician who repaired the pickguard please? The original pickguard from my '69 Precicion needs the same treatment and it looks like a nice job he's done.

Cheers

P
[/quote]

I will PM you the details.

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1391895778' post='2362492']
I had the pleasure of playing this bass on Thursday and can confirm that it is a sweet playing light and resonant fretless - also J is a very nice guy :)
[/quote]

Did you have a little Costa holiday then Gareth!?

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1391895778' post='2362492']
I had the pleasure of playing this bass on Thursday and can confirm that it is a sweet playing light and resonant fretless - also J is a very nice guy :)
[/quote]

It was a big pleasure meeting Garreth and taking all my basses out of their cases at the same time! A really nice guy with fine taste on bass guitars... :D

• 2 weeks later...