Why become a member? ×

sticky strings

steve-bbb

is it just me or does anybody else see any difference regards steel v nickel strings??

i am only a recent convert to nickels but have noticed that particularly if you leave a bass unplayed for any length of time that the nickel strings develope a strange sort of tacky sensation that i dont seem to get with steels

i dont wear groovy silk gloves nor do i have a sweaty hand issue in fact i can play hard for a whole gig and still not have particularly sweaty hands like wot i did in my misspent teenage bass playing days :D

a quick rub down with IPA seems to sort the tacky nickels out no problems but having non sweaty hands these days is definitely an economic advantage compared to my sweaty days when sets of swing bass were still well within single figures :)

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1390746201' post='2348887']
is it just me or does anybody else see any difference regards steel v nickel strings??

i am only a recent convert to nickels but have noticed that particularly if you leave a bass unplayed for any length of time that the nickel strings develope a strange sort of tacky sensation that i dont seem to get with steels

[/quote]

It's hair gel condensing on your strings from standing too close to the keyboard player, simple as that. Keep your distance, no more sticky strings, I guarantee it.

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1390765501' post='2349284']
It's hair gel condensing on your strings from standing too close to the keyboard player, simple as that. Keep your distance, no more sticky strings, I guarantee it.
[/quote]

we did forget to put the drip tray down under the drummer one night so it could have been some of the splashback i guess

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1390770062' post='2349360']
we did forget to put the drip tray down under the drummer one night so it could have been some of the splashback i guess
[/quote]

Hmm, I see. Sniff your strings. If there's vague whiff of Hai Karate or Censored, it's the keyboard player. If there's a strong smell of Vick's Vapour Rub, it's the drummer.

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1390807669' post='2349614']
Hmm, I see. Sniff your strings. If there's vague whiff of Hai Karate or Censored, it's the keyboard player. If there's a strong smell of Vick's Vapour Rub, it's the drummer.
[/quote]

smells more like somebody been licking the strings after eating fishermans friends

It has happened to me but only with set which are 3-4+ weeks old, particularly on basses which I hand around at sessions. It's usually just grime and oil from peoples skin. Keep some surgical swabs and some rags in the case and wipe down the strings before and after use.

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1390846581' post='2350298']
It has happened to me but only with set which are 3-4+ weeks old, particularly on basses which I hand around at sessions. It's usually just grime and oil from peoples skin. Keep some surgical swabs and some rags in the case and wipe down the strings before and after use.
[/quote]

this is why i am somewhat perplexed and felt the need to air it on a thread :D the strings in question are rotosound swingbass nickels and they had only been on a couple of weeks and been gigged a couple of times (with non sweaty hands) and then placed back in the hard case and promptly ignored for several weeks while i gassed over my new acquisition :gas:

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1390850076' post='2350401']
You be surprised how much oil comes off you fingers/hands and how quickly airborne particulate matter can become lodged.
[/quote]

+1. Also, minute particles of skin can get lodged between the wraps.