Why become a member? ×

which vintage Fender would you buy and why?

Diablo

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1390826740' post='2349889']
Must it be a vintage Fender? I never ever say never say never...ever - because if you do ever say never say never ever [i]you are limiting yourself. [/i]Does that make sense?

There are plenty of [i]other builders[/i] who generally [i]make better Fenders[/i] than Fender. Have you tried them? If so why not try them before you spend your cash/
[/quote]

True, very true. My reason for saying Fender is that a) I've never owned a vintage one, and B) in order to dip my toe into this murky and slightly dodgy world of vintage, so called vintage, fake vintage, Chinese vintage and the rest, I figured the safest and most easily verified way would be with a Fender. I am also of the opinion that a good bass guitar will always be better than me as I learn so I don't need to spend £10k, but at £2k I figure I can take that risk. I need to play more basses of any make.

Cheers,
Rich B

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1390834612' post='2350040']
True, very true. My reason for saying Fender is that a) I've never owned a vintage one, and B) in order to dip my toe into this murky and slightly dodgy world of vintage, so called vintage, fake vintage, Chinese vintage and the rest, I figured the safest and most easily verified way would be with a Fender. I am also of the opinion that a good bass guitar will always be better than me as I learn so I don't need to spend £10k, but at £2k I figure I can take that risk. I need to play more basses of any make.

Cheers,
Rich B
[/quote]

And, to be uncouth about it, unlike something custom-built. you're not going to lose a fortune as soon as you drive it off the forecourt. So to speak.

in order to dip my toe into this murky and slightly dodgy world of vintage, so called vintage, fake vintage, Chinese vintage and the rest, I figured the safest and most easily verified way would be with a Fender. [/quote]

Shall [b][i]I[/i][/b] tell him? :( :D

Be careful. Be very, very careful. There seem to be more shysters and con-artists attracted by vintage Fenders than any othe type of guitar/bass. If you don't know what you are looking at/for, the potential to be ripped off is enormous.

There are some very trustworthy people on this site. Might be worth a PM to one or more of them before you start looking seriously. Seriously! :)

If it was me (which it wouldn't be as I have neither the cash nor the nerve to swim in these shark-infested waters!) it would be a 1966 (YOB) Jazz in three tone sunburst/tortoiseshell :gas: Classic and classy.

Edited by Conan

I am also of the opinion that a good bass guitar will always be better than me as I learn
[/quote]
Rich...always remember that the bass guitar is nothing without you. The name playing it matters...not the name on the headstock!

It reminds me of the old Jaco story...an admirer stood listening to him burning up and down the neck and said "wow man, that bass sounds amazing!" - Jaco promptly put the bass of doom down and stepped away from it...he then looked at the fan and said "Yeah...how good does it sound now!".

As I usually say, if you want a Fender, just try lots of Fenders until you find one that you want. You could lust after a Fender from a specific period end up with a dog when you actually find one.

£1500 -£2000 will get you a late 1970s jazz or mid to late 1970s Precision. I'd probably try the newer Fenders too, along with Sandberg and Sadowsky etc.

• 2 months later...

The only vintage Fender I'd buy is the only Fender I regret selling, a 1962 Olympic White Bass VI with matching headstock. I loved it and still sold it 12 years ago. Got a great price, but I really couldn't afford it now :-(

It sounded great, it played great and when we played Back in the USSR, I really thought I was George ...

And for anyone who hasn't played a bass with a trem ... all I can say is WOW! IT'S GREAT. IT MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE GOD! Like playing an eight string, but different. With a proper six-string bass (EADGBE, the way Rickenbacker, Nathan and Leo planned it) you can embarrass your guitard ... which is always fun.

Edit: I did feel a bit of a twat after we wrote some new songs after I'd just bought it, and then at the next gig suddenly realised I only had four strings and no trem. But that's what keeps you on your toes ... like the one gig in 20 years when you break a string mid song.

Edited by Back to Bassics