Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Mi10 and Mi12 Cabs...

eude

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1392944775' post='2374644']
Can you post an impression on the Promethean vs Mibass rigs?
[/quote]

Of course mate :)
I'm currently stuck, as I got the rig delivered to my work and need to get it home a piece at a time on public transport, a great test for the portability, but I need a bag for the cabs, before I can do it.
I've ordered one of these >> http://amplifiercoversonline.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=107_90&products_id=3446
Hopefully it'll be here next week and I can get the thing home and set up!

So far, one thing I can comment on is the build quality. The head and cabs are VERY nicely made, very solid.
The cabs are about the same size as my old Promethean combo, near enough anyway.
Was a little disappointed to see no Speakon jack, but I guess you can't have everything.
I'm expecting big things from this little rig and I get the feeling I'm not going to be disappointed
In a few weeks I'll be taking it up to Scotland for the Moffat Bass Bash, so I'll get to try it out at war volume with a tame band, so I'll report back after that too.

Cheers,
Eude

• 2 weeks later...

Not managed to get everything altogether in one place yet, life is a bit complicated at the moment and I was waiting for Roqsolid to send out the "Powerbag" I ordered so I could carry the cabs back from work on the train. They're compact and very light, but still not much fun on public transport or walking anything over a mile.
Anyway, I got one home last night and had a quick blast this morning.

The build quality is top notch, very solid indeed, especially the head, wonderfully finished and sturdy.
Through headphones the amp sounds quite modern but can get quite dirty, when you dial the gain back its almost hifi, but taking it up to overdriving it sounds lovely, dirty and punchy without being too spiky if that makes sense? The gain circuit is designed to overdrive nicely rather than clip, would be cool if it was switchable, but I do appreciate the simple and uncluttered design of this little amp.

Through the one cab, its not quite as "surprisingly huge for the size" as the Promethean running flat, but having said that its a very nice noise, just not quite as bassy.
You can dial all that in however using the thankfully simple 3 band EQ. There's also a lot of volume on tap, seemingly more than the Promethean.
If all goes well, I'll get the second cab home tonight and give the whole thing a go tomorrow morning. I reckon two of these cabs will be pretty powerful and the whole modular thing should give me everything I could need for a little while.

I'll be back once I've had a plonk through the whole rig.

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1394036131' post='2387201']
Not managed to get everything altogether in one place yet, life is a bit complicated at the moment and I was waiting for Roqsolid to send out the "Powerbag" I ordered so I could carry the cabs back from work on the train. They're compact and very light, but still not much fun on public transport or walking anything over a mile.
Anyway, I got one home last night and had a quick blast this morning.

The build quality is top notch, very solid indeed, especially the head, wonderfully finished and sturdy.
Through headphones the amp sounds quite modern but can get quite dirty, when you dial the gain back its almost hifi, but taking it up to overdriving it sounds lovely, dirty and punchy without being too spiky if that makes sense? The gain circuit is designed to overdrive nicely rather than clip, would be cool if it was switchable, but I do appreciate the simple and uncluttered design of this little amp.

Through the one cab, its not quite as "surprisingly huge for the size" as the Promethean running flat, but having said that its a very nice noise, just not quite as bassy.
You can dial all that in however using the thankfully simple 3 band EQ. There's also a lot of volume on tap, seemingly more than the Promethean.
If all goes well, I'll get the second cab home tonight and give the whole thing a go tomorrow morning. I reckon two of these cabs will be pretty powerful and the whole modular thing should give me everything I could need for a little while.

I'll be back once I've had a plonk through the whole rig.

Eude
[/quote]

Luvverly!

Righto, I finally got the whole thing up and running, and I'm VERY pleased.
Adding the additional cab adds a whole lot more weight to the sound, again as I mentioned above, its not producing much in the way of trouser flapping lows, but treated right you can get a very thick solid low end from these little cabs :)

So all in, this is am impressive little rig. One cab is plenty for home practice, or I can use the headphone jack if I get too many complaints from my detractors! Adding the second cab really makes this a gig ready set up, it'll easily handle a loud drummer and work perfectly for on stage monitoring at louder gigs.
If, at some point, I need to shift a bit more air, I'll just pick up an Ashdown 4 Ohm 2x12 and pop the little head on top.

Will try and get some pics when I can :)

Eude

• 1 month later...

Here's a little pic of my rig.
It is a pretty darned impressive little set up!

[attachment=159642:MiBass_Rig.jpg]

It sounds really good with the gain dimed using my ACG Skelf (Prototype) Guitar too :)

Eude

Looks good.

I have a Promethean P5110 combo and used to use a Barefaced Midget (112) as an extension cab which was fab.

Finances caught up with me (car repairs) so I had to move on the Midget but I have recently replaced it with an Ashdown Mi12 and I love it - mini rigs rule :D

• 1 month later...

I've joined the party late and taken delivery of a Mi12 cab today for my 'small rig'. First impressions are they're built very well, looks ascetically good, and the sound is pretty good....although at living room volumes I'm not blown away like i was with my Genz 2x12 but then this is a smaller cab. I am getting great low end using my Genz Streamliner 900 into it, have had to tame the lows on the amp though. The cab is a little heavier than i was hoping, perhaps should have read the specs in more detail but it is a 1 hand carry...just wouldn't want to carry it too far. Not sure if the 10" would have been better for lightness, but then is a 1x10" really giggable with a 7 piece soul band? I shall put the Mi12 through its paces Saturday at a smaller pub type gig before i consider the cabs future...all in all though not bad for £199 thus far. :)

Nice one mate, look forward to hearing how you get on!
They are very well built aren't they, my Mi10s are solid as hell :)

A single Mi10 would be fine for a small acoustic gig and is a treat for home practice, but I reckon it'd struggle in a 7 piece soul band. 2 X Mi10s would be just fine though. I find I have to push the low end a little with the smaller cabs, certainly when using just one, so the Mi12 must put out a nice thick natural amount of bass :)

Eude

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1400155296' post='2451243']
Would 2 Mi12's keep up with a drummer and two guitarists? Rock covers band sort of thing, average volume for a band - we don't make ears bleed put it that way :)
[/quote]

I would certainly think so, as long as you have a reasonably powerful amp, say 400 or 500 Watts would be plenty.
When I get gigging again, I'm hoping my 2 X Mi10s and my MiBass 2.0 head will keep up in a similar setting, if not I'll move them out for the 12s :yarr:
Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1400155435' post='2451246']
I would certainly think so, as long as you have a reasonably powerful amp, say 400 or 500 Watts would be plenty.
When I get gigging again, I'm hoping my 2 X Mi10s and my MiBass 2.0 head will keep up in a similar setting, if not I'll move them out for the 12s :yarr:
Eude
[/quote]

Cheers.

I've got a 300w head, but it puts out a lot, it's definitely loud :). Just have to persuade the Exchequer of the Household now...

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1400156710' post='2451260']
Cheers.

I've got a 300w head, but it puts out a lot, it's definitely loud :). Just have to persuade the Exchequer of the Household now...
[/quote]

Should be plenty then mate, best of luck!

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1400145437' post='2451097']
Nice one mate, look forward to hearing how you get on!
They are very well built aren't they, my Mi10s are solid as hell :)

A single Mi10 would be fine for a small acoustic gig and is a treat for home practice, but I reckon it'd struggle in a 7 piece soul band. 2 X Mi10s would be just fine though. I find I have to push the low end a little with the smaller cabs, certainly when using just one, so the Mi12 must put out a nice thick natural amount of bass :)

Eude
[/quote]
Well gigged the Mi 12" last night. It seemed to have a lot more in the mid range than my Genz 2x12, not as smooth sounding but then it is a much cheaper cab. It didn't struggle to keep up with my soul band at all, in fact it admirably surprised a few band members who thought it looked 'too small' and would therefore fart out. As i say it wasn't as smooth as i would have liked but then i think a bit of time to eq things on my amp may sort that. Also perhaps its not as light as i would have liked either (memories of a light Markbass 15") but all in all not a bad cab. I'm tempted to try a 10" if i can save some pennies again, perhaps put the 12" with it for a modular rig. :)

Edited by Raslee

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1400441514' post='2453930'] Well gigged the Mi 12" last night. It seemed to have a lot more in the mid range than my Genz 2x12, not as smooth sounding but then it is a much cheaper cab. It didn't struggle to keep up with my soul band at all, in fact it admirably surprised a few band members who thought it looked 'too small' and would therefore fart out. As i say it wasn't as smooth as i would have liked but then i think a bit of time to eq things on my amp may sort that. Also perhaps its not as light as i would have liked either (memories of a light Markbass 15") but all in all not a bad cab. I'm tempted to try a 10" if i can save some pennies again, perhaps put the 12" with it for a modular rig. :) [/quote]

That's great news mate!
By not as smooth sounding, do you mean just a bit more edgey/grunty, or was the sound a little less balanced than what you're used to?
I can really recommend the Mi10, its a great little cab, enjoyed a little light noodling through mine yesterday while it was too hot to be outside!
You can get them pretty cheap now too >> http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-cabs/pid24234/cid686/ashdown-mibass-mi10-1x10-cab.asp
P.S. it doesn't have a speakon jack, if you do get one, not fine finding out you have the wrong cables...

Eude