Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

4 Strings vs 5 Strings

KebabDestroyer

Hi guys.

I'm looking at getting myself a new bass. At the moment I have a P-bass and an Overwater Aspiration, both 4 strings, but there's a few songs I'd like to learn that require 5 and 6 strings to play.

I'll guide you through my train of thought thus far.

I don't want to jump straight into a 6 string as I'm useless with a guitar and, while I appreciate that a bass isn't played the same as a guitar, I don't fancy forking out for something that'll be left to gather dust until I can get rid of it somehow. I feel it's important to point out that I don't consider myself a "musician" as such. I can read tablature and play Rocksmith and with other people if I know the song etc but my knowledge of scales and the "theory" side of playing bass is somewhat lacking. I've been at it nearly 3 years.

So I was thinking about getting a 5 string. Given my lack of actual skill and the knowledge that there's not a huge amount of songs I want to play that require 5 strings, I have my doubts as to whether it's worth it. Then again, I'd like to work my way up to 6 (Dream Theater <3).

So my question is, should I bother getting a 5 string? Since I want to work up to 6, should I just get a 6 and skip the 5?

Agh!!

As a learner player I wanted a 5 string, despite starting on a 4, I felt that if I was learning anyway, might as well learn 5 string. Just to make it easy on myself I went for a 5 string fretless........
Admittedly, playing both wasn't a smart idea, but I found it took a while to be sure "where i was" on the 5, and whilst I love the sound of the bottom B, it was all too much and I reverted to a 4. Trouble is I'm now always looking for notes below bottom E.
If you are seriously committed to playing a 6, and willing to practice, then what are you waiting for?

Be prepared for a lot more plankier experience - even from 4 to 5 the difference is like a whole 'nother instrument. I played on a 6er thumb bass for about 30 minutes and just couldn't handle it at all (though it was nicely put together).

If you really want 6 it makes sense to just go for it otherwise you'll need to re-learn twice.

Edited by Lw.

I have to confess that I've never understood 6 (or more) string basses. I can understand going lower but as soon as you go higher you start hitting the guitars, keyboards etc. For an extra two and a half tones of already crowded soundspace I've never seen the point in the money it costs to get a decent one.

Steve

Just jump in. I procrastinated for ages before recently getting my first fiver, and I'm not going to say its a nothing transition, it just takes a little planning and thought.
I have 2 4 strings, and I find that if I play on one for a while and then swap to the other to play the Same songs, it feels a little awkward and takes a little while to settle back in. It's the same with the 5, if i spend all my time on it I'm fine, if I jump back on a 4, ill hit the A instead of the E just silly stuff. I now have songs for certain basses, so when I run through my bands set list I swap out throug my practice so I know what to expect.
Playing a 6 should be no different, unless you build it up to be something huge in your own head. Just do it and get on enjoying it!!!

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1390512838' post='2346365']
I have to confess that I've never understood 6 (or more) string basses. I can understand going lower but as soon as you go higher you start hitting the guitars, keyboards etc. For an extra two and a half tones of already crowded soundspace I've never seen the point in the money it costs to get a decent one.

Steve
[/quote]

As with the 5 (only more so) you can reach all the notes you want by going across the strings rather than up and down, thus achieving greater economy of effort.