Why become a member? ×

PJing my P

Si600

If I can find one, I'm thinking of getting a double Jazz style humbucker, like the American Deluxe series and having it split so that it's a 70's position normal Jazz with the option of fat humbucker style.

No idea if it's a sensible option, what it would sound like or anything. The biggest problem is finding a suitable pickup.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of a PJ, it gives the option of thump AND slice and that appeals to my tonal sensibilities. I bought a Squier Precision VMPJ and to my ears the balance is fine but the pups are ceramic amd that is a wee bit of a letdown. I say go for it dude.

The idea of a MM pup at the bridge is hugely appealing, but I'm not much into hot-rodded looks, Im quite fussy about things looking aesthetically clean but this is your bass so go after what you want. Adding a preamp would bring it to life big-time, but do it the way you want it and that's my advice. We want pics if you go ahead!

There is one more thing I do on my wiring: I put a .01 capacitor inline from the hot lead of the bridge pickup to its volume pot. This cuts a little bit of low end, which isn't there anyway on a bridge position pickup, and a tad of volume, hence using a "hot" pickup like the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz, and cures the impedance volume drop with both pickups full on.

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1391786108' post='2361295']
There is one more thing I do on my wiring: I put a .01 capacitor inline from the hot lead of the bridge pickup to its volume pot. This cuts a little bit of low end, which isn't there anyway on a bridge position pickup, and a tad of volume, hence using a "hot" pickup like the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz, and cures the impedance volume drop with both pickups full on.
[/quote]
I did similar thing - I "treble bled" the neck PU's VOL pot, it did similar thing :)

[quote name='AngelLaHash' timestamp='1392028447' post='2363666']
I am doing a PMM one but it dosnt look Pritty :(
I hope i got the MM in the correct place but i would like some thing to Cover the MESS i made with Chopping out the hole :'(
[/quote]
Buy some raw pickguard material and create a pickguard of whatever shape you like :)

[quote name='AngelLaHash' timestamp='1392028447' post='2363666']
I am doing a PMM one but it dosnt look Pritty :(
I hope i got the MM in the correct place but i would like some thing to Cover the MESS i made with Chopping out the hole :'(
[/quote]

If you had a MM pickguard you'd know for sure if you have your pup in the correct spot.... and it can cover a multitude of sins. :) You can always sell it on again if you don't like the aesthetics.

I hear the MM's are a bit shorter

I did cut in to the body before i found that Forum Page, but if i make my own Pick Guard i can Hit the HOLE!
I dont think it would be good to have one Pickup under another like it would be with a PMM
So would having it in Place were the Jazz Bridge Pick be better and change it so i can select MM/Top/Bottom Pickups
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/pickup-spacing-comparison-652372/"]http://www.talkbass....parison-652372/[/url]

Edited by AngelLaHash

[quote name='AngelLaHash' timestamp='1392049031' post='2364030']
I hear the MM's are a bit shorter

I did cut in to the body before i found that Forum Page, but if i make my own Pick Guard i can Hit the HOLE!
I dont think it would be good to have one Pickup under another like it would be with a PMM
So would having it in Place were the Jazz Bridge Pick be better and change it so i can select MM/Top/Bottom Pickups
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/pickup-spacing-comparison-652372/"]http://www.talkbass....parison-652372/[/url]
[/quote]

Yes but the distance from the 21st fret (or 20th) is the same. ;)

See the Pingray on the previous page.

[quote name='AngelLaHash' timestamp='1392049031' post='2364030']
I hear the MM's are a bit shorter...

[/quote]

Yes the instrument's overall length may be shorter, but it's the distance from the nut to the saddles of the bridge that matters. If you look at your diagram, they're all the same. The Musicman has the bridge closer to the back of the body.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1392051783' post='2364086']
Why not?
[/quote]
Because the pick-guard is only decoration. It has no effect on the musical function of the instrument.

Right i was trying to EXPLAIN that.. i do understand that I cant use the PICK GUARD as a JUDGEMENT to were the PICKUP should go because of the were the NECK really ends on the BODY.... That is why i KNOW i put it in the WRONG place first off.

This is WHY i POSTED the PICTURE to show this

If you look at the LINK you will see i was in the chat from 2yr ago

(im going to have to stop for a while as its driving me Nuts some posts)

Edited by AngelLaHash

[quote name='AngelLaHash' timestamp='1392052369' post='2364099']
Right i was trying to EXPLAIN that.. i do understand that I cant use the PICK GUARD as a JUDGEMENT to were the PICKUP should go because of the were the NECK really ends on the BODY.... That is why i KNOW i put it in the WRONG place first off.

This is WHY i POSTED the PICTURE to show this

If you look at the LINK you will see i was in the chat from 2yr ago

(im going to have to stop for a while as its driving me Nuts some posts)
[/quote]

lol Well I better go back and learn my stuff again then, as this is precisely the method I used to obtain exact measurements on the dozen or so basses (including the surf green one over the page) I have routed with MM pups. :)

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='AngelLaHash' timestamp='1392069767' post='2364428']
OH NAFF OFF.. i didnt take the Measurment from there.. .i cut the hole just by EYE level about 3 Year ago
So STOP ya Jibbing young WHIPPER SNAPPER

AND I DID POST ages ago that you cant take the MEASURMENTS from there.. BUT YOU COULDNT READ IT
[/quote]

I'm not sure where the argy-bargy is coming from mate as I was only trying to help with your post.

The fact of the matter is that you can take the placement measurements from the neck/frets.... and I do. And a genuine MM scratchplate (far from being purely decoration, Rich) is the ideal starting point to make a template from. You have intimated that you may not have made the best job of yours - if there's a bit of wiggle room, a MM pg will also let you perfectly correct any misalignment you may have had by doing it by eye.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1392071008' post='2364453']
I'm not sure where the argy-bargy is coming from mate as I was only trying to help with your post.

The fact of the matter is that you can take the placement measurements from the neck/frets.... and I do. And a genuine MM scratchplate (far from being purely decoration, Rich) is the ideal starting point to make a template from. You have intimated that you may not have made the best job of yours - if there's a bit of wiggle room, a MM pg will also let you perfectly correct any misalignment you may have had by doing it by eye.
[/quote]
I don't think we're really disagreeing too much here, Rich.

If you have a genuine MM pick guard it will give you a template for the ideal position for the pup in relation to the frets on the neck, providing you measure from the same fret; i.e. the 12th/20th etc.
But if you position a MM pup routing by measuring the position from the bottom of the pickguard on MM guard and apply that same spacing to create the position in a Fender guard I doubt it will be the same distance from the frets/bridge. I may be wrong.

If you wanted to put a MM pup on a Warwick - as seen above, an you use a MM guard as a template to give the spacing from the bottom of the neck I think it will also be wrong. But again I'm open to being corrected.

My understanding is the things that affect the sound in a real way is the length of the strings and the position of the pup(s) in relation to the strings. If is pickguard isn't there as decoration and something to cover over the cable routing, then should I get guards for my Warwick and the other 2 bases I have that don't have one? :P

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1392107473' post='2364644']
I don't think we're really disagreeing too much here, Rich.

If you have a genuine MM pick guard it will give you a template for the ideal position for the pup in relation to the frets on the neck, providing you measure from the same fret; i.e. the 12th/20th etc.
But if you position a MM pup routing by measuring the position from the bottom of the pickguard on MM guard and apply that same spacing to create the position in a Fender guard I doubt it will be the same distance from the frets/bridge. I may be wrong.[/quote]

Yes measuring from the bottom of the pg would indeed be wrong. Which is why, as I have said all along you take measurements from the frets. Listen very carefully - here's the science bit.... A MM neck has 21 frets. Not all necks do (which I think might be the basis of your argument). The MM pg has points around the neck heel which helpfully line up with the 21st fret. On the Pingray (note : which has a Fender Jazz body) the neck is a 21 fret job which is handy in this instance. But if it were a standard 20 fret neck you wouldn't just wap it up against the neck heel and rout away. No, you would use a bit of common sense and project a virtual 21st fret from which to take measurements. This leap of the imagination seem perfectly straight forward to me... but I'm sensing that this might be a bit "in depth" for some with less of a practical bent.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1392107473' post='2364644']If you wanted to put a MM pup on a Warwick - as seen above, an you use a MM guard as a template to give the spacing from the bottom of the neck I think it will also be wrong. But again I'm open to being corrected.[/quote]

Warwick, Fender, it's all the same. Just make adjustments as above.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1392107473' post='2364644']My understanding is the things that affect the sound in a real way is the length of the strings and the position of the pup(s) in relation to the strings. If is pickguard isn't there as decoration and something to cover over the cable routing, then should I get guards for my Warwick and the other 2 bases I have that don't have one? :P
[/quote]

The Wikipidia definition of a pickguard sites it's primary function as being used to protect the guitar's finish from being scratched. Yes there are people for whom a pg is purely there for decoration. Others find them a practical design solution and not the least to mention a very convenient place to mount control pots, switches, LEDs and jack sockets on (primarily) front routed basses. And others are have enough imagination to use them as handy guides in bass building too.