Why become a member? ×

Scratchplate removed... Screw holes...

Cosmo Valdemar

I've been playing my beloved little Hofner Violin bass non-stop lately after putting some new flatwound strings on it, and at the weekend I made the major life-changing decision to remove the scratchplate, just like that famous bloke who plays one.

It looks much better now (IMHO) but there's the small issue of the little holes left behind in the body. They are very small and I'm not bothered by the appearance but is it ok to just leave it as it is, or should they be 'plugged' in some way? Should I put the screws back in?

I've taken the plate off my Marcus Miller Jazz. I think it looks much better without... but yes, the screw holes can be an issue. The audience won't be able to see the holes though. Let's face it, most audiences don't even notice the bass [i]player[/i], never mind their instrument! :rolleyes: :D

If you fill them, and then decide to put the plate back on.... Just seems silly.