Why become a member? ×

Starters help

action_panzer

Hi guys,

I've never really played guitar properly and would like to actually sit down on learn how to now. I've fiddled around on and off for a few years but never stuck with it, so every guitar I've bought I've sold and am now sans guitar.

I was wondering if you had any advice on a 'starter' guitar as it were, perhaps based on some info on guitars I've owned in the past, which were:

+ ESP LTD KH-203, this felt comfortable and not too small (playing bass makes me feel like normal guitars are absolutely tiny), had a great sound but I wasn't a fan of the locking nut or the Floyd Rose bridge - I just didn't use it

+ Epiphone SG400, which felt tiny and uncomfortable, I felt I had nowhere to rest my right hand and that the pickups were in the way of where I wanted to strum. I broke all the rules and pretty much bought it on looks alone. Stupid, I know. It also felt like it had a very wide neck profile.

I've also played one of my mates Jackson's a reasonable amount, years ago, and I got on with that quite well.

So maybe you more experienced guys out there you might be able to recommend a good guitar for me to start with? My budget is probably £200-£250, £300 absolute tops, and of course I'd be open to second hand.

Hope this makes sense...

Thanks guys

I find Strat style guitars best to learn on. Wider sting spacing, passive electronics, lots of tonal variation, easy to maintain, no diddly locking nuts or Floyd rose trems, basic no-name ones are excellent value for money and they always look great in any setting.

I've always used Squier Strats because I know they always work and are always well constructed. It's also nice to know that if you want to experiment with different bridges and pups, you can!

Truckstop

Squiers are usually good vfm and your budget would see you clear to a s/h Standard, CV or VM. Hold their value if bought s/h and easy to flip.

A Squier VM HSS Strat (below) retails around £230 new. Bridge humbucker good for 'rawk' one would imagine:

If you're after a Les Paul shape, 'Vintage' LP copies come in around £300 new and get a lot of love:

Edited by skankdelvar

A mate of mine had a similar request and I ended up making him a strat neck which was 46mm at the nut,.. seems to be a lot of guitars at 41 - 43mm ish and he was having real problems finding anything bigger (I gather Warmoth bigger ones - there's some good info. on their site about nut sizes)

Superstrats are pretty versatile, I use Ibanez S470s as workhorse guitars, easy to play, comfortable body shape/balance, loads of pickup/sound options. I wonder if the trem (any trem) robs some tone ??,.. but the ZR trem is quite amazing, takes all sorts of abuse and I hardly ever have to touch/adjust it.

To the OP. Judging by what you've said, you are going to need to play the guitar before you know if it's going to suit you, so just get yourself down to your local musical instrument shop(s) and try everything that is within your price range (and a couple outside it to see if you need to save a bit more) and then buy the one that suits you the best.

It's all well and good getting recommendations on here but they aren't going to be much use to you if you can't try the guitar first because nowhere local stocks it.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1389105572' post='2330011']
To the OP. Judging by what you've said, you are going to need to play the guitar before you know if it's going to suit you, so just get yourself down to your local musical instrument shop(s) and try everything that is within your price range (and a couple outside it to see if you need to save a bit more) and then buy the one that suits you the best.

It's all well and good getting recommendations on here but they aren't going to be much use to you if you can't try the guitar first because nowhere local stocks it.
[/quote]

You're absolutely right, that much is dawning on me.

I like the look and feel of a strat, but worry about the versatility and output of the pickups, particularly for metal playing, so I think I probably am looking at something like a superstrat.

Its always good to get a bit of advice about these things, but it looks like its going to be a fun weekend at Coda Music in Luton for me! XD

One last thing - does anyone have any opinions on Vintage guitars? I know their bass guitars are pretty spectacular for the money...Plus, I never can quite decide if turning up with a 'worn' instrument is either REALLY cool or REALLY not cool...as the Vintage Icon range looks like very good vfm.

[quote name='action_panzer' timestamp='1389170985' post='2330754']
You're absolutely right, that much is dawning on me.

I like the look and feel of a strat, but worry about the versatility and output of the pickups, particularly for metal playing, so I think I probably am looking at something like a superstrat.

Its always good to get a bit of advice about these things, but it looks like its going to be a fun weekend at Coda Music in Luton for me! XD

One last thing - does anyone have any opinions on Vintage guitars? I know their bass guitars are pretty spectacular for the money...Plus, I never can quite decide if turning up with a 'worn' instrument is either REALLY cool or REALLY not cool...as the Vintage Icon range looks like very good vfm.
[/quote]

Well when I started (again - tried as a teenager) - my first guitar was a Les Paul copy. Now I am a pretty big bloke (used to play Rugby as a Lock) but I just couldn't get comfortable with it. Too big and cumbersome. Expected to end up on a Strat but picked up a SG copy (Indie) in my local music shop and instantly fell in love with it. If it hadn't been such a ridiculous price (£499!!!) I would have bought it there and then. Started doing research and found that Vintage are well regarded and bought their SG copy. Great guitar, well setup by Guitarbitz (bought unseen online) and only cost £180. I am still pants on a guitar but my level of ineptitude jumped as soon as I got a guitar that I was comfortable with.
Basically I agree with others here, you need to find the type of guitar that suits you. If that is a LP, Vintage definitely seem to be highly regarded (don't dismiss the non-icon ones). If a strat, then you have Squier, Vintage and the Yamaha also always gets recommended (which has a Bridge Humbucker if you consider you need it for Rawk!!!). Might be worth having a try with a Tele too.