Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on downsizing to a Markbass CMD 121P

Graham A

[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][color=#333333]I'm considering selling my TC Electronic BH500 head & speakers ( two BC210's ) to help fund the purchase of a Markbass CMD 121P.[/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][color=#333333]Primarily i'll be using this in the house & possibly small pub gigs, but i was then looking to add a Markbass NY121 extension cab at a later date when funds allowed. [/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][color=#333333]I was wondering if anyone has got the same set up on here & if they do what they think of it ? Thanks [/color][/font][/size] :)

Edited by graz66

No, haven't got that rig but have played it a few times when supplied.

If you like the MB cab sound ( I don't ) then adding another MB112 will deliver those goods
far better than the single cab.
I've heard the single combo struggle on a decent stage.... but I would also expect other
single 112's to do likewise...if you follow my defintion of struggle.
The guys using them probably don't though... for good or bad.

I`ve got that set-up and for me it`s perfect. I use the combo on its own in the band I`m in which has 2 bassists as I don`t need to carry the whole of the bottom end myself. In my other bands, where it`s just me on bass, I use the NY121 as well and as JT says, the addition of this really makes a difference. With the combo on its own I`d be loud enough, but the depth of sound that the extra cab adds is difficult to explain until heard.

I always used to be a 412 or 410 & 210 bassist, but had to get a smaller set-up which I could carry. I expected to compromise on sound, but once plugged in realised happily, that I hadn`t. On NYE my punk covers band (Pistols, Clash, Ramones etc) played and we recorded the gig. The recording showed that, on about 3 on the amps volume, eq with bass 4, mids - 4, treble 8 I was far too loud and had far too much bottom end.

Unless you`re playing massive stages, not much more needed. There is of course the fact as to whether you like the MB sound - I love it. This is the first amp set-up I`ve had for over a year in such a long time that I can`t actually remember when the last one was. I like this set-up that much.

I have this rig too. I use it mostly with double bass but it sounds great with bass guitar too. For small, pubs and as a stage monitor with PA support, I think it's a very good rig.

Adding the extension cab gives you more of everything and is well worthwhile IMO - I wish I'd done it sooner.

An alternative to this would be to buy 2 of the cabs and a MarkBass head. The combo you refer to has an LM II or III in it. I think there may be 2 of these cabs for sale here on BC and MB amps & combos pop up fairly often. Unless you are in a rush, I would certainly go used.

Thanks for your thoughts, looks like a good way to go but i'm still looking into it. Was also also looking at the Littlemark Tube 500 head as well. Whatever i decide i will need to sell my TC Electronics gear to part fund the project.

The Little Mark Tube with a couple of NY121s sounds worth trying - I had the LMT, paired with a Markbass 410 and it was great. The "tube" doesn`t add much gain, but more adds "fur" to the sound, making it slightly less clinical. If it weren`t for doing swift changeovers in an 8-piece band I probably would have gone that route, but as said, 8-piece/swift changeovers, a combo is easier to pack away/get off stage.

Thanks to everyone who has passed on advice in this thread, it's greatly appreciated :) I have no doubts that at some stage in the future i will need to downsize, but for the time being i've decided to stick with my TC Electronic gear. I've just ordered some Roqsolid covers for them as well.

[quote name='graz66' timestamp='1388778964' post='2326042']
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][color=#333333]I'm considering selling my TC Electronic BH500 head & speakers ( two BC210's ) to help fund the purchase of a Markbass CMD 121P.[/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][color=#333333]Primarily i'll be using this in the house & possibly small pub gigs, but i was then looking to add a Markbass NY121 extension cab at a later date when funds allowed. [/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][color=#333333]I was wondering if anyone has got the same set up on here & if they do what they think of it ? Thanks [/color][/font][/size] :)
[/quote]

I don't have the same set up, but I was using a TC RH450 with a RS210 and a BC212 cab (sometimes just the RS210 alone) until in May last year I bought the CMD121P.

I liked the sounds of the RH450 although was not in love with it. As a stage monitor a single RS210 cab did the job nicely, but for pub gigs without PA I definitely needed both cabs to get enough bottom end.

The CMD121P was a revelation. I love it.

I do not use it that much in the house, because I don't think it sounds that great at flat-friendly volumes. In fact, when I bought it, I nearly returned it! However it comes into its own at higher volumes. At home I generally use a small Behringer BXL450A combo (I don't care if you laugh :P) or indeed the RH450 with the RS210.

I use the MB combo all the time now for gigs. Most gigs I play have a reasonable PA, so the combo becomes my stage monitor only. Easy to carry, I almost never use amps that are provided already in multi-band gigs, because I can just walk in with the tiny combo, put it on top of whatever amp there is there, switch the DI cables to the MB's own DI (preEQ, for me, so that the tone adjustments only affect what I hear, not what gets out in the front), and away I go.
In some small bar gigs I can get away with using the MB combo on its own as well. It's surprisingly meaty! I also tend to bring it to rehearsals, as the bass amps I find in most rehearsal rooms are pretty bad and/or knackered. Bearing in mind that the position of the volume knob can be very misleading (sometimes there is no much more volume to be obtained after about 60% of the travel, for example), my volume knob tends to be set somewhere between 10 and noon, suggesting I'm not pushing the amp much to obtain the levels I need.

When I want to make sure I'm loud enough without PA, I add another cab. The NY121 will be pretty good, I am sure. I used the RS210 sometimes myself, and then a Barefaced Compact (loud but light 1x15"). The MB combo with the Compact make for a surprisingly loud and light rig.

I cannot be happier, I love this little combo and its sound and how easy and light I travel these days.

• 1 month later...

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Just to update everyone, i did in the end downsizing to a Markbass CMD 121P with a matching New York 121 cab. I've attached a picture of the the setup. Loving the sound & the weight !! Thanks to everyone who contributed on this post :-) [/font][/color]

[quote name='graz66' timestamp='1393325149' post='2378635']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Just to update everyone, i did in the end downsizing to a Markbass CMD 121P with a matching New York 121 cab. I've attached a picture of the the setup. Loving the sound & the weight !! Thanks to everyone who contributed on this post :-) [/font][/color]
[/quote]

Nice one!

I ended up getting a Schroeder mini10-R a couple of weeks ago, just by chance. I was not looking for anything, but I met someone who had a Barefaced Big Baby 2, same speaker I have ordered and am waiting for, and he suggested I visited him and try his... So I did, and among his various speakers he had this tiny thing (it's a bit smaller than the CMD121P) that sounded great and was loud... and he happened to want to sell it.

I have since used this combination once live and a few other times at rehearsal. It's awesome. I can only imagine yours is probably better. LOud, powerful, fits easily in the boot of a Golf with plenty of space left...

[quote name='graz66' timestamp='1393325149' post='2378635']
[/quote]

Congrats, that rig sounds great with a Precision, doesn`t it?

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1393334696' post='2378829']
Nice one!

I ended up getting a Schroeder mini10-R a couple of weeks ago, just by chance. I was not looking for anything, but I met someone who had a Barefaced Big Baby 2, same speaker I have ordered and am waiting for, and he suggested I visited him and try his... So I did, and among his various speakers he had this tiny thing (it's a bit smaller than the CMD121P) that sounded great and was loud... and he happened to want to sell it.

I have since used this combination once live and a few other times at rehearsal. It's awesome. I can only imagine yours is probably better. LOud, powerful, fits easily in the boot of a Golf with plenty of space left...
[/quote]

It's certainly lighter that my previous TC gear, which wasn't heavy by any stretch of the imagination, & sounds awesome. Can see this lasting me for some time as, at my time of life, i'm after the combination of light & great sounding, which this does by the bucket load. The added bonus is both combo & cab were made in Italy, after reading about some of the Markbass stuff being manufactured in Indonesia :)