Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Looking for a truly versatile bass

alhbass

[quote name='alhbass' timestamp='1388665809' post='2324477']
I've owned a number of instruments over the years (though not that many when compared to some BCer's!), and currently have a Yamaha BB1024x as my main instrument. I love it, but naturally it has it's limitations tonally, so I recently purchased a Peavey T40 in the hope that it would offer me some different sounds... I was particularly attracted by it's apparent tonal versatility and capacity to mimic various classic bass sounds (Rick, Musicman, T Bird etc - see YouTube for many and various demonstrations..), especially the humbucking ones that my Yamaha doesn't do (of course).

It does seem to be able to make quite a variety of sounds, but I must say I've yet to fall in love with any of them... Maybe I just need to experiment more, and I might change the strings too (currently has La Bella flats on it). Anyway, it got me thinking about what other single bass I might consider trading my current ones in for... I'd welcome suggestions.

I'd be looking for something that would offer great P bass and PJ sounds (like my passive Yamaha), but perhaps something with the option of active circuitry too, so I could get some more "modern", full, fat tones that would work with soul/pop music as well as rock and vintage/funky tones. My musical tastes and interests are quite varied - I currently play in a kind of urban soul/dub-influenced pop band, but also love vintage funk and disco, and have been in many much heavier rock and blues bands so my influences range pretty much across the spectrum from Lemmy to Nate Watts! I know there always have to be compromises along the line, and that (probably) no single instrument can do everything - but I suspect there must be some basses out there that would do a better job than my current set up. If I sold both of mine I'd have something in the region of £1000 to spend, so that's my upper limit really. Might possibly stretch a little further if a very attractive option turned up though...

Suggestions would be very welcome.

Happy New Year one and all!
[/quote]

It sounds like you're describing a G&L L2000 (or L2500) :)
But do not disregard the Lakland 44-02 (or 55-02) either!

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1388666285' post='2324488']
My first thought would be a G&L L2000 or L2500. Does a pretty good P-Bass, J Bass amd Stingray impersonation but with 36 different combinations of switches etc, it does have a sound of it's own. I always considered mine to be the "swiss army knife" of basses.
I tried both the American and Tribute versions and couldn't tell much difference for the price.
[/quote]

totally agreed, except for the Stingray bit.
The L2000 and Lakland 44-02 do not do Stingray *at all* due to the position of the bridge pickup. But they're awesome basses anyway.

I think Dingus is on the money with talk of a pre-amp for the Yamaha. It's something you can try without huge expense or moving on your basses, and you'll probably get most of your money back if it doesn't work out.

A VB99 or V-Bass is another suggestion. It will certainly give you a huge amount of variety in sound, although there are one or two downsides (complexity goes along with that variety, and you need the GK3B and associated flimsy-feeling data cable).

Edited by pete.young

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1388666285' post='2324488']
My first thought would be a G&L L2000 or L2500.
[/quote]

I'd agree. The first time I picked up an L2000 I was really impressed at how many different - and useful - sounds it made.

I didn't buy it because it looked pretty dull, but it would make a great studio bass.

I'd go with a Jazz bass with a John East retro pre amp in it (which slots right into control cavity with no soldering required). When I had mine there were very few sounds I couldn't get. Search for John East retro on basschat and you'll find a lot of people that agree with me.

Have you considered a Yamaha TRBX504? Great active and passive sounds. Lakland 44-02 has already been mentioned. Also look at Ibanez ATK800 - an amazing bass.With regards to the G&L, I much prefer the M2000 over the L2000 even though it doesn't have quite as many sounds; the ones it does have sound better IMHO.