Why become a member? ×

Pickup manufacturers are awkward!

Dood

I totally understand that they make pickups in all the sizes that sell best, but it really messes with my pseudo-OCD!

Take EMG for example. I like their blade design active pickups such as the DC soap bar - but, I've a crazy pang to have an MM pickup put in one of my bass guitars that has a pair of DCs in already. My problem is that none of their MM pickups are the same size (length) as the DCs. Once installed, they will look untidy and unmatched.

Delano again do a range of really nice pickups and I have a pair of SBC 'driver' soap bars in another bass that are the Bart P2 size. Again, looking at that bass instead - and having a pang for an MM sound - none of the MM size pickups they make as standard are the same length as the available soap bars.

Am i too fussy?? I just like all my pickups to look even you see. Not too much to ask! I'd love to have custom pickups made, sure, but the one-off tooling would be costly.

Thoughts?

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1388597886' post='2323869']
I totally understand that they make pickups in all the sizes that sell best, but it really messes with my pseudo-OCD!

Take EMG for example. I like their blade design active pickups such as the DC soap bar - but, I've a crazy pang to have an MM pickup put in one of my bass guitars that has a pair of DCs in already. My problem is that none of their MM pickups are the same size (length) as the DCs. Once installed, they will look untidy and unmatched.

Delano again do a range of really nice pickups and I have a pair of SBC 'driver' soap bars in another bass that are the Bart P2 size. Again, looking at that bass instead - and having a pang for an MM sound - none of the MM size pickups they make as standard are the same length as the available soap bars.

Am i too fussy?? I just like all my pickups to look even you see. Not too much to ask! I'd love to have custom pickups made, sure, but the one-off tooling would be costly.

Thoughts?
[/quote]

Custom is the way forward.

Allan at cats whisker pickups should be able to help you with all your custom requirements.

Amazing quality and great prices

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1388597886' post='2323869']

Thoughts?
[/quote]

Well if the hints coming from the Facebook page are anything to go by, it looks like Aguilar are releasing a soapbar MM style pickup, possibly at NAMM.

Might be worth checking the dimensions and they could be another option to consider?

Edited by skej21