Why become a member? ×

If basses were cars ...

Fionn

I would say just like cars modern basses are a facsmile of there older counterparts! I would rate basses in terms of there playability and the tone they produce....

1/ Old Jazz bass, like an old Ferrari, hot blooded unpredictable, fast, the looks, amazing tone and sounds, temperamental, will throw you in the road if feels like it, (the neck) hotter output than any of those basses that look like satan's door key. You should walk away, but once you have tangled, its a love affair that will always end in tears........

2/ Modern Am Jazz bass, all the problems ironed out of the above, great, but have lost the mojo a little, sensible, tone is still there but without the sparkle of magic. Like the difference between an Air cooled 911 and a modern water cooled 911! Saying this i think the danger and magic lives on in some of the Mexican ones, with decent pickups some of these models have an amazing tone, part. the roadworns and 60's models, must be all those chili's.

3/ Precision bass, old timer, like an old British car (AC cobra, Sunbeam Tiger) with a huge American V8, cool sound track, reliable, as the engines only turning at 1 rpm and you are doing 100mph. But a one trick pony, (but very good at what it does) and not particularly good round corners....

4/ Musicman stingray, Really a tastfully pimped up Precision, takes the precision idea and adds decent brakes and suspension so cornering is now possible, 3 band preamp adds a degree of sophistication and finesse. A more modern take on the classic muscle car idea. I would say an M3 V8

5/ Yamaha BB2004/5 Japanese take on the classic italian sports car, ticks all the boxes and is reliable, fast, exciting, thrilling, but its not quite alive, like a Honda NSX.

6/ Warwick Streamer Stage 11, fast, good range of tones the german take on a italian sports car, ultra reliable, safe and well built. But due to all the modern electronic safety and drive by wire additions, you loose the connection and feel of the bass. Audi R8 V8

I can only comment on the basses I have played and owned!!!

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1388269947' post='2320341']
How can a P bass be a 911, it's hardly a mass produced instrument used by the full range of musicians and made in different parts of the world? Both iconic, but that's as far as it goes for me.
[/quote]
Just a thought but....
i think 911 production has topped over 800,000.., thats a mass production by any measure.....anyone know how many fender p's been built?

Anyway .....yamaha rbxa2=mitsi evoX

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1388617004' post='2324180']
Anyway .....yamaha rbxa2=mitsi evoX
[/quote]

I'd have it down more as a Honda CRZ. Futuristic looks, sleek, looks oh so great in white, LEDs spattered around the controls but ultimately, doesn't perform in line with how it looks.