Why become a member? ×

Hartke - HA 3500 or LH 500?

isteen

Hi guys, and happy holidays.

I've been looking at the Hartke HA 3500 head lately, but people tell me that the fan is a bit noisy.
What about the LH 500, is there a difference in sound between the two heads?
Is the LH 500 as good a choice as the HA 3500 has been for many years?

Which head would you choose, and why?

Thanks

[quote name='isteen' timestamp='1387899330' post='2317044']
Hi guys, and happy holidays.

I've been looking at the Hartke HA 3500 head lately, but people tell me that the fan is a bit noisy.
What about the LH 500, is there a difference in sound between the two heads?
Is the LH 500 as good a choice as the HA 3500 has been for many years?

Which head would you choose, and why?

Thanks
[/quote]

I have the HA3500. No complaints - has served me well, is pretty versatile and will definitely put some power out!

Which scotches the complaint about the fan, a little. I mean, at rehearsal or at a gig - or at any volume - you're not really hearing it :)

I will say, it is heavy, mind!

No experience of the LH500, but happy to field on questions on the HA3500.

They're both great amps. I'd suggest the HA because of its versatility but having said that I haven't touched my HA since I picked up the LH500. It just nailed the sound I was looking for right out of the box.
The fan didn't really bother me in recording situations BTW so I wouldn't really worry about it.

Edited by Mog

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old topic but I thought I would recycle instead of starting a new one!

I have recently purchased an LH500, should be with me tomorrow!

But I had this debate with myself. I was really tempted by the HA3500 and were looking at a few used. The used price for a HA3500 and a new LH500 isn't massive difference and I know the LH with give exactly what I want for tone and power so thats what I went for.

Since then I noticed Thomman are selling HA3500 at just under £200 new! And the 5500 is only £260!

I just hope I made the right decision going for the LH500 now as I am doubting myself a little.

Oh well we will see!

Edit: Ive bought the LH from GAK for £225 which I still think is a very fair price!

Edited by 4StringFortress

I think it depends what you want from an amp. I had the old HA3000 and you could get some lovely sounds from it using the shape function. However i like to get a sound i like and then stick with it so i tried a LH500 and liked it so i bought it. Its an incredible amp for the price as its very loud and bullet proof. However i just set everything at 12 o clock and gig all night with it. I dont bother with the brite switch but that does give you more options. If you like to play around with different sounds then i fear you may prefer the HA series but give the LH500 a run first. You could put a hartke bass attack in front of it which has the shape option. These go for under £50 SH.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1447765252' post='2910096']
I think it depends what you want from an amp. I had the old HA3000 and you could get some lovely sounds from it using the shape function. However i like to get a sound i like and then stick with it so i tried a LH500 and liked it so i bought it. Its an incredible amp for the price as its very loud and bullet proof. However i just set everything at 12 o clock and gig all night with it. I dont bother with the brite switch but that does give you more options. If you like to play around with different sounds then i fear you may prefer the HA series but give the LH500 a run first. You could put a hartke bass attack in front of it which has the shape option. These go for under £50 SH.
[/quote]

I'm also the same I like to get my sound and stick with it. I like a clean sound with plenty of low end, a bit of grrr from the mids and i lay off highs as I don't like a harsh attacking tone.

Ive played through a HA3500 and I do like the EQ option just to fine tune your tone. I did find it was quite an attacking kind of sound from it. I'm sure it could be dialed out though.

Judging by the comments and reviews on the LH I'm sure it will give me what I want and without needing to tinker with a load of dials and sliders!