Why become a member? ×

Badass bridge hinders setup

Bloc Riff Nut

Since deciding to work on my technique; I dig in quite hard, I ve also decided to adjust my bass setup.
The bass in question is a Fender Jazz '75 Reissue from Japan.
The neck relief is 2.2mm when fretting at the 1st and last frets and measuring at the 8th fret.
The action is 1.8 mm on the G-string and 1.9mm on the E-string, both measured at the 12 th fret.
I can hear the vibration of E,A and D strings against the frets ever so slightly when I decide to dig in, just what the doctor ordered.
And I really, really have to dig in to get this effect with the G-string :-/. It won't go any lower because the saddle of the Badass II bridge is maxed out ( or minimalled out ).
Other than that I'm really happy with the results. Hopefully the lower action and lighter right-hand technique will give me more stamina and a more dynamic playing style.

I also have an ACG Graft Gallas 5'er which I bought secondhand and when I got it the action was remarkably low: if you stared hard enough you could fret a note. Far,far too low for me, but an eye-opener never the less. The first thing I did was to increase the action to my hamfisted playing style, I'll probably set this up over the Christmas hols.
I think the Fender Jazz is probably an average setup as far as relief and action goes, how do you guys/gals measure-up?
All measurements were taken with feeler gauges.

[quote name='Bloc Riff Nut' timestamp='1387707445' post='2314660']
It won't go any lower because the saddle of the Badass II bridge is maxed out ( or minimalled out ).
[/quote]

A shim in the back of the neck pocket will give you more if you want....

I'm not sure I understand your neck relief measurement. 2.2mm is a hell of a bow. If you straighten the neck out a bit then that will probably allow you to raise the saddles a bit. Straightening the neck usually lowers the action. I set my neck relief at about 0.30mm. 1.8mmG and 1.9mmE is pretty low too if you like to dig in.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1387711659' post='2314743']
I'm not sure I understand your neck relief measurement. 2.2mm is a hell of a bow. If you straighten the neck out a bit then that will probably allow you to raise the saddles a bit. Straightening the neck usually lowers the action. I set my neck relief at about 0.30mm. 1.8mmG and 1.9mmE is pretty low too if you like to dig in.
[/quote]

I assumed the measurement was a typo :)

[quote name='jimbobothy' timestamp='1387713760' post='2314776']
Shimming the neck isn't that much of a job really. I'm sure if you search on here you'll find a thread on it or maybe someone local to you could help?
[/quote][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/49897-how-to-shim-a-neck/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/49897-how-to-shim-a-neck/[/url] very good guide with pictures :)

I've used thin plastic sheet of about 1/32" thickness, cut to shape to fit the neck pocket of my Cort Curbow 5 because I needed to raise the neck when the saddles of the G and B strings were bottoming out and the action still wasn't low enough. I used two thicknesses so I raised the neck by about 1/16" and I drilled holes to accommodate the neck retaining screws. I can't remember where I got the plastic (I'd used it during an art degree course) but it was thin enough to cut with scissors - this is similar stuff I think http://www.amazon.co.uk/SHEETS-BLACK-PLASTIC-PLASTICARD-0-75mm/dp/B00F5YJOC6/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1387794254&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=0.75mm+plastic+sheet

Edited by HowieBass