Why become a member? ×

session singers....are they booked by key?

iconic

Most likely a dumb question but humour me if it is ;)?

I was chatting to a guy I sometimes jam with regarding how the key of a song is/can be dictated by the 'singing key' of the lead singer...I can't sing so never give these things much thought...until I need to transpose.

...so are backing session singers booked by the key they can sing in, do they advertise this &/or is this not important?

& if so why?

cheers

Edited by iconic

Session singers (or, at least, the good ones...) can sing in any key required. Obviously a soprano can't do tenor parts, but all have trained their voice control to accommodate a key change. Less experienced singers could have a more limited range, or 'prefer' a comfort zone. It's much the same as transposing; a pianist can play in any key, not just using the white notes.
Just my tuppence-worth; subject to completion, correction and/or contradiction from others.

Cheers for that,

The guy I was chatting to (one half of a 2 guitar playing duo) always seems to play everything in C, (D or G at a pinch!) so much so it's a joke between us.
Another guy I sometimes noodle with, is one of those 'one man karaoke machines' and seems to be able to have a good go at most songs in most keys....but had to drop a half step for Bruno Mars Locked Out Of Heaven...which I found strange?

If only I could sing some if these things would make more sense :(

Your average lead singer is restricted to the keys that "come naturally" because they don't practice, probably haven't had lessons and so have limited ability and range.

Anyone who takes singing seriously[i] will[/i] train and practice and as a result will extend their range to the point where they will be able to sing in all keys.

Like any instrument singers have their lowest note and their highest and should be able to sing every note in between, except that range is fairly unique to the singer in question (though tenors, sopranos etc have historically standardised ranges). singing every song in C would actually be more difficult than it sounds, take Locked Out of Heaven, which is in F, if we're to transpose that up a 5th it would be imossible for a man to sing it (it's very very high anyway), a 4th lower and it'd sound rubbish. I suggest you have a go at singing yourself, then you'll understand.